V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recieved my Corbin Solo for the 06 RK Classic. Should have been an easy install, but as things goes sometimes, it is not. I installed the rear bracket just fine as well as the front bracket. When I tried to put the seat on the brackets, it only caught the front bracket with 1 click (instrcutions says it has to have 2 clicks to be seated properly). So, the seat is not all the way in and therefore has play and is loose in the front. Now the terrible part, I cant get the locking mechanism to release the seat. I have tried everything that i can think of, sitting on it, pulling it up, smashing it down etc etc. It seems that the locking mechanism wont realease the darn thing. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.:badmood:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
That lock is a pain in the ass until it is set up right. Turn the key all the way and keep it there, then lift up the back of the seat at the same time... it will release. You then just have to play with the pin on the fender mount until it is in the right position. It is a little bit of trial and error... just be patient.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8 ball. the 06 seat is totally different than yours. The lock pin is now in the front and not the rear. I cant release it to take the seat off. I am so scr**ed. I have given up for tonight. I guess I will call Corbin on Monday.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
8-Ball & I both have Customs, not Classics, and my 06 Corbin Solo has the lock pin at the rear with only a tab at the front. I recall the Customs having a different seat/dash setup than the other FLHR's.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I had trouble with my corbin classic on my RK Custom. It turned out that the locking mechanism was missing a screw, so when you turned the key, it would not fully release. Dont screw with it anymore, just leave the seat on, unbolt the bracket from the fender. With the seat off, it is easier to get the latch to release. Check to make sure you are not missing a screw. When you put the brackey back on, make sure it lines up with the rear fender bolt. Loosely put the bracket on, put the seat over it to see if you are close. Manipulate the bracket until u are close, tighten it down and try putting the seat on.

·
Recon
839 Posts
I have that damn new style corbin on my 06 street glide. I have had the same problem. Sit on the seat with the bike straight up, off the side stand. Sit with your weight to the rear of the seat. turn the key gently(you could break it) Lift the front of the seat(it should not take force) until the seat releases to the 1st click. Get off the bike and turn the key to remove the seat. These are a bitch. remember it take finesse not force. You might havbr to lift the nose of the seat right or left. If you get the seat off look carefully at the hole in the latch to see if the wear is centered. Corbin promises that when the seats break in the latch will release better. I went thru the panic attack too! good luck and dont cut the damn seat off yet!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ralston, thanks for responding. I spoke to Corbin tech today. He wants me to take some pic and send to him. No matter how I try, I can not get the seat to sit properly or get it to release. I finally had to unscreww the rear bracket from underneath the seat. Not easy. The front lifts up at least an inch when I pull up. This is an 06 issue only it seems. Corbin moved the locking mechanism to the front of the seat as opposed to the rear.

·
Recon
839 Posts
Yes, I know. I have the front pin-latch too. They make great seats ,but this new latch desighn is going to be a hassle for a lot of us. I dont know if the seat will release without the rear tab in the bracket. I finally got mine to fit but the rear bracket moves on the plastic donuts and because of the holes (huge) in corbins bracket. I am hoping for a solution!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ralston, Corbin has reviewed the pic's that I sent and they are making me a new seat. The tech, who was very helpful, also told me that they have a differnet size front latch pin. It is smaller and must be in repsonse to the issues that folks are having with having the seat release. :thanks:

·
Recon
839 Posts
tlr said:
Ralston, Corbin has reviewed the pic's that I sent and they are making me a new seat. The tech, who was very helpful, also told me that they have a differnet size front latch pin. It is smaller and must be in repsonse to the issues that folks are having with having the seat release. :thanks:
I am in the creek with you now...my seat will not release! I have messed with this damn thing for weeks now...I have called and sent pics but no call back yet?? If I have to cut this hi dollar seat off the bike I will ba very, very upset. maybe I will get a response from someone who can help tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
count to 1000. this is how i got it off. i slipped a 7/16 open end wrench under seat from the back. i lifted seat and wrench is angled so it didnt touch the fender. i also put a small thin rag on fender. as i lifted the seat from the rear, I gently undid the bolt on both sides. once rear bracket is off i was able to get seat off. The other time i really wiggled the heck out of it. My solution to the issue is this. i added 2 washers to the front latch pin between gas tank panel and the bracket. this changed the angle of the latch pin sightly and also lowered the pin a bit. I also moved the rear bracket towards the front of the bike a bit (1/4 to 1/2 inch). The result is that the seat is a little loose, but when i sit on it it is fine. Because of this, the seat removes quite easily. I plan on moving the rear bracket back another 1/4 in, but i want to wait until it warms up a bit. Speak to Jim Hilger at Corbin. He was very helpful to me. PM me if you want more details. Good Luck

·
Recon
839 Posts
tlr said:
count to 1000. this is how i got it off. i slipped a 7/16 open end wrench under seat from the back. i lifted seat and wrench is angled so it didnt touch the fender. i also put a small thin rag on fender. as i lifted the seat from the rear, I gently undid the bolt on both sides. once rear bracket is off i was able to get seat off. The other time i really wiggled the heck out of it. My solution to the issue is this. i added 2 washers to the front latch pin between gas tank panel and the bracket. this changed the angle of the latch pin sightly and also lowered the pin a bit. I also moved the rear bracket towards the front of the bike a bit (1/4 to 1/2 inch). The result is that the seat is a little loose, but when i sit on it it is fine. Because of this, the seat removes quite easily. I plan on moving the rear bracket back another 1/4 in, but i want to wait until it warms up a bit. Speak to Jim Hilger at Corbin. He was very helpful to me. PM me if you want more details. Good Luck
Thanks, i finally heard from one guy at corbin who said the latch is the problem and they would send me a new seat but...he was too busy with daytona and to call california. Now cal wants pics and here we go again. They have said they will get it right. I cant get a wrench under the back of the street glide seat but i am gonna find a way! thanks/i will let you know!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ralston said:
Thanks, i finally heard from one guy at corbin who said the latch is the problem and they would send me a new seat but...he was too busy with daytona and to call california. Now cal wants pics and here we go again. They have said they will get it right. I cant get a wrench under the back of the street glide seat but i am gonna find a way! thanks/i will let you know!
Back in 1995 I had a Corbin on my 1995 Honda ST1100 and it was a very good seat.

Fast forward to 2004 and I ordered a Corbin for my 2004 Sportster. It would not stay latched. The first customer service person tried to blame HD and their Mfg tolerances. After getting a different story from each person I spoke to at Corbin (California) I decided to send the seat back. After a month I called because I did not see a credit to my credit card. I was given a run around by Corbin (Cal.). I was told that accounting had the seat and wanted to talk to me. I finally called the Fla. office and threatened to have my credit card co. stop payment and they finally refunded my money. The guy in Fla. seemed quite knowlegeable and was very helpful.

I don't mind a mistake as long as it is made right in a timely manner.

Corbin's cust service is one of the worst I have ever experienced.

I am in the market for a seat for my 2005 FXDI and I won't even consider a Corbin.

I will never buy anything else from Corbin!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just recieved my Hollywood Solo seat last night...and FED EX is picking it back up on 3-4-06 what a piece of Sh*t it has blown out areas in the fiberglass where the rubber mounts to the pan, and rivet holes drilled all over where someone made a mistake in the cover alignment, and some rivets are just catching the edge of the seam and not going through where they should be!....oh and no mounting bolt for the hardware...I told them its unacceptable and I want my money back!

I will never buy a Corbin seat again period!!! I will inform the forum on the results

2006 FXST

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds truly unacceptable. That is just a shame. Their customer svc appears to be pretty good. That is a nice seat. Possibly let them send another to see if it is much better. Good Luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
tlr

I will give them a chance to correct this, Corbin did say that they! would repair it, I told them it couldn't be repaired and only replaced, Corbin said ok?

They told me to send a pic....I told them! I am going to send the seat Because seeing is Believing! So they paid for a return FED X, we will see by next week what Corbin say's...its Cali So who know's?...lol

I will say this! the seat is very nice looking and has a nice custom look.

Ride Safe!

·
Recon
839 Posts
Corbin finally decided to send me a new "latch pin" for my seat. I hope this works it really sucks to spend so much on these things, I was told they were sending a new seat. They know all about 06 fitment problems. I will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TLR,

So have you gat any pics of your new seat installed yet? I'm looking into the same seat for the same bike. Actual pics are always nice. Also, if you don't mind, how does it sit compared to stock?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
duckman, I ordered the solo seat, not the close, and had them add 1 inch to the back of the seat. This has put me in just about the same position as the stock seat. The height appears to be the same as stock. BTW, I am 5'9". Look up 8 Ball, I belive that he had Corbin scoop out about 1 inch of foam to sit a little lower. That appears to be a good idea. He also has great pics that I found to be very helpful. I am on a different computer and can not access my pics. There is another thread where I did post one just the other day. Search my posts if you care to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
can anyone tell me if this problem exists with the dual touring? Just bought a new Road King Classic and had decided on Corbin when I came across this post. Decisions, decisions.
Thanks
RCL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts