V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just bought a 2003 Hugger. She is having trouble because she is only 4'10" and can only get the front part of her feet on the ground. We put on a very low profile seat and a HD lowering kit but this still isn't low enough. I heard that someone makes shorter shocks than the HD ones. Does anyone know where to get them? Any other suggestions would also help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I believe you can adjust the shock height on your Sportster. And you can always buy her boots with thicker soles and heels. A friend of mine has to wear thick soled boots to ride his!:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Progressive will sell you shocks in almost any length you want.
Did you use the lowering kit that pushes the rear shock mount back? Just asking because they tend to put stress on the shocks that they weren't designed for.
Most anything you do to lower it further will affect the amount of suspension travel, which will adversely effect comfort. Don't know how long or often she intends to ride, but its something to consider.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You can get another 3/4" - 1" off the front buy lowering the tubes throu the TT's. after a set of P/S (1 1/2" is the lowest you can go, wheel can bottom out any lower) and your about done. The only other choice you would have is to use a lower profile tire in the rear. keep in mine all the changes will effect handling, and she should not be running 90 or 100 down the super slab.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thicker soled boots worked for me. Gave me the extra leverage I needed to be able to move my bike around to park etc. Didn't originally buy the boots for that purpose, just bought them because I liked them. Always were them when I ride because they are so comfy. About a month or so ago went to move the bike into the garage with my sneakers on, couldn't do it, OM had to give me a push.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sure this is the right bike for her? Don't want her to get hurt over an image thing.

If all else fails, please take that seriously. If you can find a safe way to make it work, by all means, go for it. My wife doesn't want an HD because the risk is too great with her size (about 5').

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
A Buddy of Mine has lowered their 01 XL Custom for his Wife that is about 5' and it worked out quite well. She is slim and has yet to bottom the suspension but she does NOT ride like a bruiser, more of a CRUISER.
I'll get the details from him tonight and post them for ya.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts