V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 4'10" with a 27" inseam and am looking for a Harley that will fit me. I've tried the 883C and it is too tall. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have a friend that is just 5 ft tall and she has a 1200 and she went out and bought a lower seat, the cushion is'nt that thick so it cuts off 2" to 3" so her feet touch the ground. I've also seen at the Harley Swap meet here in Long Beach a hydrallic lowering kit for bikes have you heard of that??

Good Luck

Cheri

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm 5'1 and have a sportster hugger. got the shocks lowered and that's all, plus a boot with a good heal is good.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The 883C can be made about 1&1/2" lower with a lowering kit.
The Hugger (XLH)is already 1" lower. The XLH front forks are almost maxed how low they can be, but new lower shocks can be added. If you realy need it the fork tubes can be sliped up 1/2" on the Hugger and about 1" on other Sportys.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Originally posted by Kags

The Hugger (XLH)is already 1" lower. The XLH front forks are almost maxed how low they can be, but new lower shocks can be added. If you realy need it the fork tubes can be sliped up 1/2" on the Hugger and about 1" on other Sportys.

Yea, I tried this on my OLs 883H. It had the engine guard on it and when it came to a stop with any speed at all, the guard hit the front fender just slightly. Too much speed and it would've whacked it a good one :mad: Just thought I would mention this.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Try sitting on a Heritage. You will be 2 inches lower than on the Sportster. Then take the seat and get one that is lower still and you will be fine at 4'10.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My wife rides a softail springer. It is lowered and works very well. She is about 5'3". The real reason we lowered it was so she could use the big muscles in her legs to hold it up. She has "bird legs". She also does not have a computer!

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife also has short legs. What she has found is that the seat height of course matters but the biggest obstacle is the width of the seat. Perhaps if seats were measured from the center of the seat cushion (crack of the Butt area) to the ground it would give you more of an idea if a bike fit or not. When buying a after market seat pay attention to not only the reduction in height but width as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input on getting a bike that fits. I actually got a 2003 hugger with a low profile seat and lowering kit. My feet are pretty solid on the ground with my boots. I start my motorcycle lessons next weekend and can't wait to start riding. Now my problem is finding a helmet that fits. Arai makes XXS and XXXS size helmets but I can't find a dealer that carries them. Most XS helmets I've tried are a little too big. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried looking at the youth helmets? I know some of the sizes are diffrent as far as a youth small and an adult small.

My son wears a small youth, I wear a small adult and I cant even begin to get his helmet on my head.

Just a thought

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
brain bucket said:
Now my problem is finding a helmet that fits. Arai makes XXS and XXXS size helmets but I can't find a dealer that carries them. Most XS helmets I've tried are a little too big. Anyone have any ideas on this one?
If you can find a dealer that carries Arai helmets, they can order you one. Make sure that if you order one you are not obligated to buy it unless it fits correctly.

wyo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts