V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new tire for my 2000 Fatboy. Everything on the rear end is stock. I put on a 150 tire instead of the stock 130. After doing so, I noticed that the tire is off center a little. I know Harley sells a wide tire kit, but that is something like $450. I am looking to get by a lot cheaper. I immediatley had to turn my fender strut bolts around so the flat side is in the wheel well so the tire does not rub on the bolts when I have a passenger. I can do things myself and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this issue. On the brake caliper side I am able to put my index finger between the tire and my fender but on the belt side the tire just barely goes inside the fender. By looking at it, it seems I need to move the tire approx. 1/4 inch to the brake caliper side. What I need to know is, what are the correct spacings for that and is it possible just to have the part of the brake caliper machined down that the axle goes through and then get the correct spacer to go between the rim and the rear belt pulley on the opposite side?

Any help in this matter would be appreciative.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm looking to do the same thing with my 2002 FXST and don't want to pay the $400+ for a kit. Sorry I don't have a answer for you but if the rim was centered with the old tire why can't you get the rim to be on center again? If the rim and tire are centered I would imagine that the only clearance problem we should run into would be the bolts in the fender.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a good question about the centering of the tire. I have posted this topic on other boards and found that for some reason it has happened to everyone. Why the tire isn't centered right out of the factory is a question that remains to be answered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have actually posted this thread on other boards on the net and have found out some interesting stuff.

My 2000 FLSTF came stock with the narrow belt. So I don't need to worry about any of that. The thing I am concerned with is the side clearance. From other boards I have found that I have to get the brake caliper machined down approx. .020. Then I need a spacer between the rear drive pulley and the rim that same thickness. That will keep the belt running where it is and I don't have to mess with that. By taking that little bit off the brake caliper, will shift my tire over that little bit to alot for more clearance on that left side. It actually doesn't seem like that big of a process. I just need to find a qualified person to machine that caliper correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have also found a theory on to why the tire is not centered. Whether it is right or wrong I don't know. The theory, or guess, that has been mentioned to me is, since the primary is on the left hand side of the bike it makes that side of the bike a little heavier than the right side of the bike. The tire is offset to the left a little to handle that extra weight and improve the handling of the bike.

That is the theory I was told. Again, whether it is right or wrong I don't know. It makes a little sense, but not entirely.:cool:

·
Registered
260 Posts
The tire being "off center" is no big deal. As you said, they come that way from the factory. Look in the service manual and it will even show you a diagram of it off center.

You should have absolutely no problem with mounting your 150 and NOT having to shave the caliper. Especially on a 2000 or newer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts