V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of winter project included chroming of front end, including brake calipers, and adding polished rotors. Put the first 125 miles on FLHRCI last week and noticed the left front rotor was wearing enevenly, i.e., looks like high spots and low spots and also dark brown in the wear spots like the rotor was getting hot. Checked the right side rotor, all was good. Nice even wear and no discoloration. Note that when I reinstalled calipers I installed EBC kevlar organic pads.

Rode bike to HD dealer and they looked at the rotor and simply gave me another one. Installed it yesterday and rode approx 25 miles. Noticed this morning that the wear is the same as before, amybe even worse. Right side still looks great with normall wear pattern.

Brakes work fine, no jerkiness. Nice and smooth. Anyone have any idea what the hey is going on??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since you had your calipers chromed there is the possibility that one or more of your left caliper pistons are "hanging up" i.e., not relieving the pressure on the rotor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,

Took a 5 mile trip to the store this afternoon and while returning, 1/4 mile from my shop, front brakes locked. Both rotors discolored now. Had to loosen bleeders to get back to shop.

Removed wheel and checked calipers for piston movement. Squeezing brake, only 2 pistons moved out on one side, 3 on the other. Disassembled both calipers. Seals look good, so do pistons and bore. Pistons came right out with some air pressure. Fluid in all bores.

Going to pick up rebuild kits in the morning, replace all rubber. Still don't know what caused them to hang?? When I reassemble I will check to make sure all move outward.

I also checked all cylinders to make sure chrome shop did not over-chrome. All looks great. They used rubber plugs to block off. No chrome where it is not supposed to be.

Thanks for taking time to reply!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like you have a handle on the problem. Listen, the rebuild kits come with lubricant......make sure you use it. It is usually a silicone and you need to use it. It sounds like you have it solved. Good luck.

Don

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Don't forget to check your ft. brake master cylinder. There's a small, I mean SMALL hole in there thats the pressure bleed off. If thats clogged, you will NOT get your brakes to release. You may need to pull the master cylinder and blow it out, clean it real well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts