V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 02' FATBOY when decelerating from 30mph-0mph I feel a vibration in the floor boards. When I apply the front and/or rear brakes it does not seem to make a difference. It does this in any gear even neutral. Anyone have any suggestions? Also how much free wheel should the front wheel have . If I try and spin it up on my lift it is hard to get it to make one rotation. I'm just trying to think of everything it might be. Is it normal to hear the front brakes dragging with out any pressure applyed? My rear tire wil spin more freely with the same amount of effort. Does this sound normal. Thanks for the help.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
02Fatboy,

What the heII are you braking for????:D

Just joking. The wheel drag is associated with the fact that the brake pads are actually in contact with the brake disc. Most folks complain that their brakes are squealing. My 02 RK did at first, just ride that biatch, things will quiet down and they loosen up. Kinda like a woman, now that I think about it.

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the same feeling. But it think mine is the shifter vibrating. i can hear it more then feel it. and it seems to be attached to RPM rather then speed. It is diffently on the front of the bike and low. Don't know if this helps but you might look. Mine started after a new front tire.....so i also suspect that maybe the tire is slighly out of balance. But if i figure it out i will post it.. btw this is an 01 heritage.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Like wyo said, ride that bi-atch, and the scooter too.
I wouldn't worry 'bout it, cause Fatboys rule.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Not sure how many miles you have but if it isn't very many and the vibration is coming from the front rotor and is the same issue as your free spin comment, I suspect it is just the front brake system settling in. The rotors are machined in a direction other than centered on the axel and the tiny machine marks need to get smoothed out. Unless it is real drastic, I'd take it to 1000 miles and see if it goes away.

side note: some car companies spend a fair amount of extra money to do a final machining on rotors centered on the axel center just to deal with this. If they don't, customers bring their cars back after 25 miles thinking something is wrong. Fact is, if they'd drive 25 more it would go away forever but it's hard to tell people that....plus by then you've given them a bad taste and cost the dealer a half hour. So they just spend the extra money to make sure the car feels right from mile number 1.

Why do you think they call it brake-in.....hehe???

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Just like when you get a new set of "Hard" brake pads, ala the "expensive" type.

Your first few miles actually feel like the brake is a little spongy. When I used to trade out the pads in my Porsche I would drive it around before taking it back to the track to get rid of this feeling (and maybe one last bleed session)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts