V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP !!!Anybody know how to remove the inner fork "guts" by removing the bolt located at the very bottom of the fork. When I try to loosen this bolt it just turns the inside damper tube. 1981 Sportster with Showa 38mm forks.:confused:

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
pruitt said:
HELP !!!Anybody know how to remove the inner fork "guts" by removing the bolt located at the very bottom of the fork. When I try to loosen this bolt it just turns the inside damper tube. 1981 Sportster with Showa 38mm forks.:confused:
Well pruitt, I'm no expert and I'll presume that the 1981 showa forks are simular to the later ones. They say that an impact wrench may be required for that sudden torque to brake the bolt loose. I have had success by using an allen wrench with a pair of vise grips attached and giving it sudden jerks. (I'm guessing that yours is an allenhead also). I think that your tubes are 35MM aren't they? Maybe someone else can guide you better than me.

Later,

·
WFO
14 Posts
Go to your local Honda dealership (since Honda Owns Showa) and they will give you the skinney.
Harley forks are pretty primative in todays world of suspension, but Showa makes some of the best!

D

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
It's not on there that tight,it's just that the damper tube has a tendency to spin with the bolt.It's not impact or the torque that loosens it , it's the sudden thrust of the airgun and the inertia of the damper tube that spins it free. You could try sticking a broom stick down in the tubes to keep it from spinning but i had no luck with that and finally took the legs to the service dept. They might do it for free.If you're trying yourself,make sure you're using a metric allen . i think it's 6mm can't recall.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you don't have access to air tools, you can try this. Take a length of EMT [electro metalic tubing] otherwise known as thin wall conduit, stick it down inside the fork leg and use it to hold the damper assembly at the bottom of the leg. You may have to crush the end of it to get it to grip but this usually will work. Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just changed my sliders, I used a impact driver to break loose that lower bolt. As mentioned above it is at a low torque, you just need to give it a quick spin so the bolt will turn faster then the dampening rod.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947641000P

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Impact drivers come in 3/8 drive and 1/2" drive. Use a regular socket allen on the end of the impact. The one shown above looks like a 1'/2" drive. You can use a reducer to adapt to 3/8 drive. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts