V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 02 FATBOY I replaced my stock handlebars with drag bars. The throttle returns fine until I put the switch housing over it. Once I tighten up the 2 torq screws it sticks. I have tried to adjust everything and NO LUCK. What did I do wrong or what do I need to do. PLEASE help it is driving me crazy. THANK YOU!!!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Check and see if the little "shoe" is in properly. The "shoe" that I am talking about is the black plastic thing on the inside where the throttle lock thumb screw is located. Loosen the thumb screw until it is about to fall out and then install your cover. If this fails to work, just remove the shoe and install the cover to see if the throttle cables work. I have a feeling this is where it may be binding.

Good luck and let us know if it worked.

Jockeyshift

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THAT WAS IT!!! Thanks for the tip. I removed the "shoe" piece and reinstalled the housing and it worked. Now what happens if I just leave that piece out? What exactly is that thumb screw for, and why would I ever need to use it. Once again THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
The shoe is just there so you can lock the throttle position. It acts sort of like a brake shoe. On the bottom of the housing is a thumbscrew. You can turn this screw to lock the throttle. Some people start their bikes when they are cold and apply a little throttle and turn the screw to lock the throttle so the bike will warm up quicker. If you look at the shoe, you will see a little hole or slight indention in the middle. This has to be centered directly over the top of the screw that is protruding through the bottom of the housing. Like I said earlier, turn the screw out just a little, place the shoe back in with the indention directly over the screw, and reinstall your throttle tube (grip) and housings. This should allow your throttle to move freely. Once its moving freely, you can turn the screw in until the throttle locks and adjust it back out until it moves freely again. Now your set!!

See the comments that Manfunction is talking about here http://209.151.86.249/forums//showthread.php?s=&threadid=5997
this is what I was talking about for warming up the bike.

If you want to leave it out, that’s up to you as it will not cause any problems. It's just there for convenience.

I would recommend you keep it, so try it again and let us know how it goes.

Jockeyshift

1 - 4 of 4 Posts