V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope someone can help me out here. I bought a super sport windshield for my v-rod the other day. Some guy sold it to me for $160 including hardware. Hardly used, a great deal. Anyway, he didn't have the installation instructions to go with it. I thought it would be simple and I could figure it out. All was going well untill I had to mount the lower brackett. I realize that you have to undo the headlight mount and mount the windshield bracket through those holes, but the bolts that are used for the headlight mount are too short to go back through the windshield bracket and the headlight bracket and still screw into the frame. It's hard to explain, but anyone that has done this should know what I'm talking about. Should the windshield have come with longer bolts? If anyone has instructions or a parts list of what all should come with this windshield it would be greatly appreciated. Or if I'm just doing something wrong, let me know. Thanks everyone for your help.

Matt
[email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I guess the guy forgot to pack them with the rest of the hardware. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the hardware store tomorrow. Very much appreciate the help.

Matt

·
Registered
299 Posts
ColoradoSilver

He probably did the same thing I did, my bike came with a dealer installed sport windshield. The first thing I did when I got home was to remove it. Been sitting in the garage for 7 months now. When you remove the windshield the longer bolts will still work with the headlight so if I sold mine it would be with those two bolts missing since I put them back on the bike.

Of course I removed most of the dealer installed items, luggage rack, pass pillion, sissy bar, fender brace and windshield. It was the only one they had and I wanted a V-Rod, the bike looks better to me with less rather then more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Larry,

Thanks for the offer, but I just went to the hardware store and spent $3.00 and got the bolts that I needed. Everything fits just fine now. Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Matt,

Did you happen to ride one with the SS windshield before you bought or installed it? I have one and its coming off in the spring. It takes absolutely NO wind off your face... if anything, that is exactly where it dumps it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ColoradoSilver,
Did you get the SS shield on yet. I agree with Cny V-ROD ....I'm 5'11'' and the darn thing protects the chest but not the head. If you could raise the the top edge of the shield with longer support rods from the handle bars that would fix.....but how?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just put on the SS windshield. Boy I sure wish that baby was 4-6 inches taller in height. I'm 6' and the buffetting of my upper helmet above 85mph is rediculous, like a serious vibration. Another 4 or 5" in height would do wonders......... But I must say they build a quality product, just a bit too short.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts