V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been fighting a slow charging issue on my FLTRI and have narrowed it down to the alternator rotor. I got it off using a universal type puller, but I'm afraid I'll damage the new one (when it gets here from Milawaukee in two weeks:( ) if I dont use the correct puller.

My shop doesn't have one for sale, and they will not let me use theirs, even with a deposit. Does anyone have this tool they could rent me for a few days to do the job correctly? I'll gladly send you a deposit on the tool to insure it's safe and timely return. I'll use express mail so I'll only have it for a few days, at the most.

The part number of the puller is HD-41771 and is called "Rotor Remover/Installer". It includes the puller and a sleeve to protect the shaft and act as a guide. I'm gonna try and attach a picture of it, but I seem to have a problem getting pictures to post.

I'll be on vacation when the rotor arrives, so I will need the puller sometime after March 20th.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second try for a picture of the tool...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just screw two long bolts into the puller holes and guide it on. Hell iv'e been installing flyweel rotors on 2 stroke snowmobile engines for 25 years and H D rotors for the last 5 or so and don't use anything, just musle them on by hand. Just watch those fingers!! ED

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Fabricate one...........

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys, Guys.

Don't think I'll try to muscle it on. It's the high output 45 amp rotor and it's got some hella strong magnets, and the cavity is pretty small. I'm afraid if I get started off center the magnets will hit the stator and damage both of them.

Steering wheel puller won't work either, doesn't keep things lined up.

If I can't find one here, I was thinking fabrication. Couple of pieces of pipe, 14 gauge metal and some bolts should get me there. It just would be eaiser to use the HD tool rather than spending time fabricating one...

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
ZR1Dan said:
It's the high output 45 amp rotor
:eek: Dats a different kettle 'o' fish!!! Though you had the normal output.
High ones a strong'ish [email protected]:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts