V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi....maybe someone here can give me their two cents worth....first of all this is on a stock 99 FLHTCUI with stage 1 upgrade...maybe also a 95 incher done when the cam bearing recall was done....didnt own it then and not sure if it was changed.....anyway I went for a stroll this weekend and got out of the city a way and took off from a stop and just wound it out a little....shifted at 5500 rpm and as I was getting ready to go to 3rd gear there was a loud clacking noise on the cam cover side of the engine....pulled in the clutch let it idle down....the clacking stopped but the engine wouldnt idle....had to hold the gas on a little to keep it running...started to ease it back home and it seemed to be running ok so thought I would rap it open again...did the same thing....babied it the rest of the way home and it died in the driveway....wouldnt start again....pulled the cam cover...everything looked good there and then pulled the rocker covers....dialed the intake and exhaust movement and they were the same on each side....no codes on the pc engine lite.....any clues???....TIA!!

norm

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I am not an engine expert by any means but it almost sounds like a floating valve. Could you see the inside chain tensioner with the cam cover off? Collapsing lifter might be the problem but I wouldn't think it would be that noisy.

Noise travels funny on Electra Glides. Is there a chance something is amiss in the primary? Chain really loose? adjusting bracket loose?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
If you are not sure the bearings were changed, that would be my first guess.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
99's are funny they had several recalls even before the bearing if it is a early bike, some have rear cams that were keyed instead of splined.

Some of the early cam bearings were repaired in a very shoddy manner.

Other then looking around the intake to see if it sucked something in, throttle plate screws come to mind, best option would be to take the cam assembly apart and update it totally to late spec parts providing compression and leakdown check normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx guys for the replies...the service mgr. at the dealer seems to think that it is the cam drive sprocket that has sheered and has moved....as far as the noise I heard it doesnt explain that and it definately came from the cam side....kinda why I rapped it the second time to be ready to try to pinpoint the noise.....anyway they are going to tear into it in the AM checking the compression to start off and go from there.....got one question tho that kinda makes me think towards the cam timing....if you align the punch marks on the drive gears is that TDC or BDC?...when I check the rocker travel I noticed when the marks were aligned the exhaust valve on the front cylinder was half way down in its travel which I would think that wasnt rightor is it?....thx again!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just thought I would let you all know that the problem was I had spun the drive gear on he cams....Hippo you hit it!....sheered the key and Stubbs is replacing the rear cam and all of the cam bearings and chain.....Im having them throw in a new tensioner in while they are in there....thx again!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts