V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've gone through my last MM EFI troubleshooting headache. Time to remove all these fickle sensors and go to carb.

This bike is a daily rider, probably 75% highway. I'm more interested in fuel economy and smooth response than off the line WOT numbers. HP/TQ numbers mean nothing to me. If the bike feels and responds well, that's good enough for me.

That being said, I need to know what carb(s) I should be looking at for this bike. The config is below in the signature. What if I want to stroke this motor to 103 down the road? How do I size a carb to an engine?

This may also be a good time to point out that I have not purchased any of the components yet, so your advice on selecting a matching/compatible manifold is also appreciated. Also, I need it to work with the stock cruise control.

Thanks all.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
If budget is trying to be kept, get a take off stock Cv40 carb. They do work very well and wont limit you build too much. Also a stock carb module might work, but i would highly recoment a DTT unit. Much better suited to a performance build.

A S/E cv44 would also work very well for your current build or the 103 but is about $400.00(guessing)

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I just did the same thing with my MM efi. Now have a HSR42. I'm quite pleased with it so far, certanly runs much better than my last 10K on the MM!!! I woun't know for sure untill the spring when I can fine tune it but it seems pretty good now...PeterPan

·
Registered
90 Posts
I switched the MM EFI on my 95 in.bagger to CV40, it worked so well I hung a 113 in. on the CV. Still very happy, gobs of low end and averaging 45 mpg. I never got 45 mpg. out of the EFI in stock configuration.

TC

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
CV, with the proper tweaking, it can perform as good as a lot of the $$$ carbs, but still return great gas mileage as well..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts