V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno:
OK,
I have actually done a whole lot to my bikes in the last few years. I do my own maintenance and upgrades, pipes, fuel system, air box, etc. I have however never fooled around with the front wheel. I bought a new '05 Softail Deluxe this past summer and I want to take off the big hubcap on the front wheel. How do I go about this? I would imagine I am going to have to drive the axle back through, drop the wheel a few inches and take it off. The question is, exactly how do I do that??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Beezer

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
beezerbiker said:
:dunno:
OK,
I have actually done a whole lot to my bikes in the last few years. I do my own maintenance and upgrades, pipes, fuel system, air box, etc. I have however never fooled around with the front wheel. I bought a new '05 Softail Deluxe this past summer and I want to take off the big hubcap on the front wheel. How do I go about this? I would imagine I am going to have to drive the axle back through, drop the wheel a few inches and take it off. The question is, exactly how do I do that??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Beezer
Once you have the bike jacked up and secure, remove the axle nut on the brake side of the wheel, then loosen the clamp nuts on the hubcap side of the wheel, have someone help you and you can hold the wheel while you remove the axle far enough to wiggle out the hubcap. You have to either remove the hubcap from the axle spacer and reuse the spacer or go to your friendly local harley dealer and get a replacement axle spacer set in chrome.(I would go with the replacement as the stock spacer the hubcap rides on is ass ugly)Be sure to replace the spacers correctly, you have one on each side of the wheel and they are different lengths. Should only be a 10 minute job with a helper. If you have to do it alone remove the brake caliper before removing the axle so you can drop the wheel out with out fighting the caliper.

Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks!

That's what I thought, but I wanted to hear someone who knew tell me. I was also wondering about the spacers. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!!!!
The Beez

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
No problem, I really like the look of my front end without the hubcap.:thumbsup:

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.