V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I remove the speedometer all together 2004 superglide, will that mess the bikes operation up. The people at the dealer are saying something about on board diagnostics, however i would like to remove it and put another one on just not with a bunch of eletronic crap on it. Any ideas I have looked through the clymer manual however it does not say much about it. I have ordered the harley manual but thought i would ask while waiting on it. The guy from autometer said just remove it and see if the bike runs, others have told me that it should only affect the check engine light i would some more info on this. thanks

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
shogunz said:
If I remove the speedometer all together 2004 superglide, will that mess the bikes operation up. The people at the dealer are saying something about on board diagnostics, however i would like to remove it and put another one on just not with a bunch of eletronic crap on it. Any ideas I have looked through the clymer manual however it does not say much about it. I have ordered the harley manual but thought i would ask while waiting on it. The guy from autometer said just remove it and see if the bike runs, others have told me that it should only affect the check engine light i would some more info on this. thanks

Welcome to the Forum.

Did you also order the Electrical Diagnostic Manual (99496-04)? The speedometer is one of the nodes on the serial data bus. Disconnecting the speedometer would not allow the engine management control module, the TSM/TSSM, and speedometer to communicate. Disrupting the serial data bus doesn't seem like a good idea for a Delphi bike with carb or EFI. I would suggest that you browse through the Electrical Diagnostic Manual fault determination flow charts - the speedometer seems to be inextricably interconnected with the Delphi engine management system.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
it should run fine, but there will be a trouble code regarding communication with the speedometer.

the data bus is just that, a bus and all of the components that use it hang off of it... no chain to break if you add or remove anything that way.

I know of numerous V-Rods that have run without the stock instrument cluster and all is fine with them... that does not mean you won't have any problems, but it's a pretty good sign. The V-Rods have been using serial data bus since their introduction.

worst case is the bike won't run.

now, finding a replacement is another story... you will need a speedo that runs off of the serial data ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed the spedo and left the light bar off of my '03 FXD (check engine, high beam indicator etc.) and have had no problems. I didn't replace it at all. I ride how I ride, I don't care how fast I'm going!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts