V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual calls for a 1/4" ball allen socket for removal of allen bolts holding intake manifold. Rear bolt, although very tight, came out no problem w/snap-on allen tool. Tried front...head stripped. Tried cold chisel to turn on edge...no go.

Thought about die grinding the allen head but that's only half the problem. If I grind the head, the bolt remains and will not allow me to slide the intake out after removing the opposite side hex head bolts beacue the bolt remains through the flange into the cylider. Would have to cut the flange too. Problem is, not enough space. Thought about welding wrench to allen head, but not sure if I can get mig into the tight space.

Suggestions anyone? Help appreciated!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you did not screw up the head with the chisle too bad what you can do is cut off a short piece of allen wrench and tap it into the bolt head, then put a good quality 1/4" box end wrench on it, I know you are working in tight quarters, had the same problem with my rear on the right side and was able to work it out. I was ready to do as HD TECH suggested but it never got that far. Now go get some real grade 8 allen bolts, not those phony H-D gr 8's, for the right side and regular hex head bolts for the left side, will make life easier. Good luck.
AP

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
And in addition to above, if the original intent wasn't to take a head off, if 3 of the manifold/TB bolts are removed one can usually just grab the assembly and pull it off. Then you have a bunch of room to get a better hold of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts