V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help,
I am planning a trip for July and it sounds like Deadwood will be the jump off point. Looking for specifics on rides around that area. I will only have a few days to ride the area so looking for some first hand experience to make sure I make the most out of the trip.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
RJ

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Spearfish Canyon
Needles Highway
Iron Mountain Road
Custer State Park

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
can someone advise him how to stay AWAY from the grasslands?

we put kids in car, for 4 days,
left Omaha, north to Sioux city, over to deadwood, Rushmore, Devils tower (nice bike road) south to Carhenge.

seemed to take 3 of the 4 days to come back south, across NE to Omaha...grass for hours...that would be very boring on a scooter.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
LittleBear said:
Spearfish Canyon
Needles Highway
Iron Mountain Road
Custer State Park
Badlands are cool. Plus Devils Tower.

If you ever have more time head to Yellowstone. A days ride to get there. Go through big horn mountains. Need 2-3 days in the park. Then leave thrugh Montana. Take 94 back to MN. Last year OL and I made it from Billings to MT border in a day, but it was a hard day. Another 1/2+ day to get from park to billings.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
berserker said:
If you ever have more time head to Yellowstone. A days ride to get there. Go through big horn mountains. Need 2-3 days in the park. Then leave thrugh Montana. Take 94 back to MN. Last year OL and I made it from Billings to MT border in a day, but it was a hard day. Another 1/2+ day to get from park to billings.
I'm confused, from Billings to either border on the East or West shouldn't be a hard day, Billings to MN would be a hard day.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Hey Rocket,

If you can find the time I highly recommend a trip through the Bighorn Mountains. About 2 1/2 - 3 hour ride from Deadwood but it's all Interstate and an easy jam. I'm partial as I live about a 30 minute ride from the top of the Bighorns and am up there nearly every weekend during summer. I also like the trip over 14A to Red Lodge Montana and back. Beartooth Pass in Montana is another awesome putt as is Yellowstone and down to the Tetons. The western part of Wyoming is some of the finest riding and scenery you'll ever see. Enjoy !

Ride

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Here's a map of the Black Hills that have all of the places mentioned by Little Bear.... http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/go.asp?ID=205 Pick up one of these when you get there and keep it with you. There are all kinds of cool roads in the Black Hills. Some are hard to find without this map though. Needles Hwy/Iron Mountain Loop is my favorite! You'll find it on the map by Custer State Park.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
sthorp said:
I'm confused, from Billings to either border on the East or West shouldn't be a hard day, Billings to MN would be a hard day.
Woke up 1/2 hour **west** of Billings and rode about 30 miles into MN. Me and the OL wanted to spend some more time in Yellowstone, didn't know when we would make it again. Had to be back to work on set day. So we agreed we jsut have to do it.

**edit wrote east. For me I am usaually est of evrything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.