V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I live in Portugal (Europe) and have a 2007 Street Bob with the engine check light on. The DTC error is the P0118 and the PN 32920-07. Also apears the PN 68925-07 and 67479-04a but without DTC errors. My mechanic has replaced already the ET sensor (PN 32446-99) but the light is still on and the computer says that is all alright. Can you help? Sorry for the bad english. Thanks in advance.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
I would check for bad wiring / loose connection in that circuit (engine temp sensor).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many folks, Technicians included, often confuse a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) with an actual diagnosis. This kind of sounds like what is going on here. A P0118 DTC is for an Open Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit. Notice the use of the word "Circuit." This could be the Sensor, but is far more likely to be in the Wiring that connects the Sensor to the Computer. This includes but is not limited to the Connectors at the Sensor and the Computer. It could also be the Computer, but while a popular Part to condemn because it is not well understood, that is highly unlikely. To test the wiring a "Good Technician" will first do a visual inspection to find any obvious physical damage, but failing that, will use a Voltmeter to pin down the exact source of the Circuit problem. An Ohmmeter will only find the sorts of problems that a visual inspection of the Wiring will find just as easily.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I cleared all codes now the flashers are doing their thing for 7,8 9 times and now it wont start. What the heck did I do???? Help I got a ride tomorrow morning

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Sounds like you trippednthe security system when a code is set it means check the circuit and if no faults are found replace the component, it does not mean replace the component then wonder why the code reset.the key word is diagnostic

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm getting the P0118 code, but I'm also getting real world symptoms that something is wrong. When the bike is cold, it runs normally, but after app 3 miles, I get a stutter in the engine while shifting, followed closely by the engine dying or if I can keep it running massaging the throttle, it will go into a very high idle, which eventually drops back to normal idle. The engine cuts off unpredictably at any point of this mess. If I let the bike sit for 5-10 minutes, it will restart, but the issues remain.
This whole process does seem temperature related- but everybody keeps telling me to check the wiring. Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
ET sensor

Realize this thread started back in 2011 with a couple entries since then. Manual says to partially remove gas tank to get at this thing with a deep 3/4" socket; just used a "Dogbone" 8 in 1 socket wrench from Harbor Freight.

It's open on both sides to allow the plastic fitting inside the "bone", it swivels so you can get any angle needed to set the socket. I had to loosen the acorn nut for the horn to get at it a little easier, but really nothing else was needed.

I have a 2007 FLHTC so it may not be the same as everyone else, but just passing along something I found easier to do. This forum is good for hints, tips, and general "go after it" mentality. Lot more fun than taking it to the dealer if you don't need to.

FWIW!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting the P0118 code, but I'm also getting real world symptoms that something is wrong. When the bike is cold, it runs normally, but after app 3 miles, I get a stutter in the engine while shifting, followed closely by the engine dying or if I can keep it running massaging the throttle, it will go into a very high idle, which eventually drops back to normal idle. The engine cuts off unpredictably at any point of this mess. If I let the bike sit for 5-10 minutes, it will restart, but the issues remain.
This whole process does seem temperature related- but everybody keeps telling me to check the wiring. Does anyone have experience with this?
Hi, Im having the same problem. Did you find out what was causing it. Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting code P0118 and also P0117. I get no symptoms and bike keeps roaring along just fine? I have cleared the codes and maybe hours later maybe days later I get the check engine light and codes P0117 & P0118 again? Pain in the rear as I can't figure out what is going on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts