V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I had 4 quarts in my mind & as I'm dumping in the 4th quart in I saw it coming up to the top of the neck. CRAP! I've sucked out the extra oil already.

I need to know if over-filling as much as I did if it would have flowed thru any other passages & gone into areas it shouldn't be. Am I good to go with just getting it sucked out and that's it or what?
I've got an 95" '02 Dyna Lowrider.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
this post scares me!! I just did my first oil change, for me, on my 03 RG. Did everything by the book. After finishing the 5000 mi. service I felt good. Checked the oil, by the book, and it was low on the stick. Service manual says to add oil as needed to fill to marks. Checked level hot and had to add, kept adding oil to get within marks on dipstick. It took the remaining 1/2 quart to do that, for a total of 4 quarts of oil. Do I have a problem? I was hoping that it took more oil with a filter change, simular to a car. Someone please let me know if this is normal? thanks, steve

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
sking said:
this post scares me!! I just did my first oil change, for me, on my 03 RG. Did everything by the book. After finishing the 5000 mi. service I felt good. Checked the oil, by the book, and it was low on the stick. Service manual says to add oil as needed to fill to marks. Checked level hot and had to add, kept adding oil to get within marks on dipstick. It took the remaining 1/2 quart to do that, for a total of 4 quarts of oil. Do I have a problem? I was hoping that it took more oil with a filter change, simular to a car. Someone please let me know if this is normal? thanks, steve
RG takes 4 quarts. Azfal, drain out the excess in a clean container so you can add some of it back if needed.

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fourstar said:
By any chance, did you use your wife's turkey baster?
Actually I commandered it awhile back & made her get her own after the stealership over-filled the oil for me back then.

And I thought they were idiots.:duh?:

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replies and the peace of mind guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
grayrider, thanks for the info, service manual does say 3 1/2 quarts so I was really questioning myself.. I can't tell you how many times I checked the oil level..thanks again, steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts