V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished relocating my left rear turn signal on my 2011 Street Bob and the blinker works, brake light works, but no running lamp. Probably one of the three wires came loose, even though I thought I did a good job on the solder join. I promise I'm going to buy the service manual but cash hasn't exactly been pouring from the sky lately. If anyone reads this and can tell me which wire could most likely be the culprit, blue, purple, or black I would be very grateful so I don't have to go and re-solder all three. Or could it just be the bulb? Help please, its an awesome day out here in Northern Colorado and I want to get this wrapped up and go cruising!

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Headlight or passing lamps? If it's the passing lamps my first question would be, did you mount them after the work was done? If not, they aren't grounded and won't work. I ran into this when I was working on my front end and had to remove the passing lamps and headlight. When I was done with my work, I was verifying everything turned back on but my passing lamps wouldn't. I spent hours troubleshooting-- like a dumbass. When I mounted them.....tada!!! They worked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Live Free or Die! My wife's from New Hampshire and we have an old license plate hanging in the garage that proudly states one of the best mottos I've ever heard. Thanks to all our military, past, present, and future, for protecting our great country and letting us live free!

Anyways thanks for the quick response. I should have been more clear. On my Dyna Street Bob there the 6 basic lights. Headlamp, left and right turn signals in the front, and Brake light, left and right turn signals in the rear. The only one I'm having trouble with is the left rear turn signal, and the only problem with that is it doesn't light up as a running lamp when the bike has the ignition key turned to on, like all the others do. Since I just relocated it and had to splice the 3 wires that go to it together with solder and shrink wrap I have a feeling that one of those wires came loose, possibly when I was tightening the turn signal assembly which twisted it a bit too much. It is a brand new bike with no other modifications except for the rear turn signal relocation which I'm currently working on. I really don't want to re-solder all three wires to the left rear turn signal since its a PITA and was wondering if the most likely cause is the black, purple, or blue wire, or maybe it's something else that I'm not even thinking of.
Happy Cruising!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it working!
Just examined the whole assembly real good, there was A LOT of dielectric grease in there, so I removed the bulb and cleaned the socket and bulb up and reinstalled it. Works great now, glad I didn't have to cut and solder anymore wires. Time to get out on the road..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts