V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering if anyone could help me out.my fat-boy has a white bros. lowering kit in rear #240969,not lowered yet..anyways how do i adjust the rear to lower it,i see the treaded ends on the shocks,and the nuts, shorten,or make it longer.....if you kinda know what i'm talking about

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this on my bike. The only adjustment you can make is the preload. For this you need a special tool (can't think of the name). I bought mine at harley for about 6 bucks. To do this you just loosen the nut on the back of the shock and then use the preload wrench to stiffen or soften the internal shock. I set mine to the softest setting by using the preload wrench until it would not turn anymore. I can't remember if it was lefty-loosey or righty-tighty that made them softer. Anyway, once you have it set to where you want it, tighten the nut back up and your done. Obviously, the bike will set a little lower if you have the preload adjusted softer. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I've tried looking up that part # for the lowering kit, but haven't found it yet so I don't know what that kit does. I'm guessing it's an extension that screws on the front of the shocks to make the length adjustable. If this is right, then you will want to lengthen the extension to lower the bike. When I said mark the adjusting nuts before you start, I meant put a mark on what ever you're turning so you can do the same number of turns for each shock. Otherwise the bike may handle funny.
Pipes, if you have the same lowering kit, how does it work?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The kit is just a longer bolt that replaces the stock shorter one. You have to take the shock apart and remove the factory bolt and replace it with the new. That's why there is no adjustment except for the preload. This kit lowered my bike approx. 2".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so..at the end of the shocks..there is a threaded rod.with rod ends bolted to the rear of the swing arm,1 big nut against the shock,and one nut,then a longer nut,then another nut,so you undo it at the swing arm,make the rod longer.? or just keep it bolted to the swing arm and turn the bigger middle nut to lower?:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

·
fatbillscustoms
157 Posts
Go to my site and look at all the shock aand preload pages. I have pictures of all and instructions how. Fatbill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts