V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some mechanical advice. I have a 2002 FLHPI. The emergency switches are all still on the bike. The pursuit light switch activates the two passing lamps. I just got my bike out of storage and noticed the passing lamps are not working. I checked the fuse for these lights, which is also the same fuse for the brakes. It is not the problem, as the brakes work fine. The logical explanation is a disconnected/loose wire. I'm not the most mechanically inclined and do not have a service manual. Just looking for any suggestions on where to check and can this be done without interferring with other, unrelated mechanical functions? I took the switch housing cover off, but could not see the connections on the pursuit switch, as the turn signal was in the way. It looked like I had to move the throttle cable to get to it and I did not want to mess with that. I really don't want to take it in for service on this if it can be avoided. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
IRON BUTT
137 Posts
You might want to check the Pursuit Flasher that is located under the left side cover. Maybe it fell out or something.

·
IRON BUTT
137 Posts
If they changed the wiring on the lamps so its like the regular Road Kings, there is a switch located on the back of the headlight nacelle that controls the passing/pursuit lights. It should be in the up position to turn on the passing lights.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Mine has a small toggle switch locatedon the back of the fork area whixh turns on the outer lights. I don't have anything coming on when I turn on the pursuit switch or the siren switch.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Is your pursuit on/aux switch related to the siren on/off switch? Does the pursuit light come on in the tach when the switch is on? I think that the pursuit plug has to have a jumper to keep power to both lights at the same time. normally, the lights would alternate with one on and the other off when the power was on. some bikes that have been converted used the aux part of the swith to be on when others used the pursuit on. It is done differently on different bikes, there is no one way of civilianizing these bikes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can anyone post a way to wire up these lights to function normally without the wig-wag?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's easy... Pull your left side cover and turn the wigwags on. You'll see a flasher about the diameter of a quarter. With the wig wags on it will be clicking. Turn the wig wags off. Pull the flasher and look at the three blades.
Now make a three pronged wire harness with a blade at all three ends. It doesn't have to be very long. Plug the three bladed wire harness in where the flasher used to be. Your wig wags are now hard wired. They will turn on, and off with the same switch that worked the wigwags. I've done this on several used cop bikes that I've owned... works fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lemral said:
It's easy... Pull your left side cover and turn the wigwags on. You'll see a flasher about the diameter of a quarter. With the wig wags on it will be clicking. Turn the wig wags off. Pull the flasher and look at the three blades.
Now make a three pronged wire harness with a blade at all three ends. It doesn't have to be very long. Plug the three bladed wire harness in where the flasher used to be. Your wig wags are now hard wired. They will turn on, and off with the same switch that worked the wigwags. I've done this on several used cop bikes that I've owned... works fine.

Thanks...really appreciate it. Will the driving lights run when the high beams are on when wired this way?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Yep, no connection between those lights. If you haven't found the flasher yet, it might be under the fairing cap. I had several Road Kings and FLTs with it under the side cover, but my 04 was under the fairing cap.

·
Rider
848 Posts
Is there a way to leave the wigwag running off the handlebar switch and wire the switch on the back of the forks to turn on and off like a civilian RK?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
You would need to do some creative wiring. Don't know where, or if they come close together at any point. The handle bar switches run to the spot lamp housings. The toggle runs to an accessory plug under the seat in front of the battery.

The later bikes have a grey (don't know what it's called) plastic female plug. The 97 should have a Deutsche plug in the same place, but again the toggle goes there.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
FNG Wig-Wag Question

I just picked up my first Harley Police bike, a 2006 Road King, and the passing lamps are wired to the pursuit switch so that when it's in the "pursuit" position the lamps are on steady. What I'd like to do is rewire it so that the lamps are on steady in the "auxillary" positon and wig-wag in the "pursuit" position. Can this be done and has anyone done this to their bike?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Not sure how do get that done. The aux. position wires originally ran all the way to the back under the radio rack. It comes wired for a pole light, or whatever you want to hook up on the back end. Normally that gets rolled up and stuck under the seat when not used.

Since the aux wires have power in the pursuit position, I'm sure that would over do the flasher. I'd say you would have to pull it apart and run new wires and a relay to get the job done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever resolve your "auxillary" positon and wig-wag in the "pursuit" position issue? I have a 2005 that was wired the same way. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any power at light socket?

Check at the lights for power. If you have a volt meter or a tester. if you don't it is easy to make. Take a 1157 bulb and two wires tape one wire to the outside of the bulb base and then take the other wire and tape it to the bottom of the bulb making sure it is in contact with the terminals at the bottom. A pair of alligators clips at the end of the wires work real good. Now take one wire and ground it to a clean metal part of the frame and take the other end with the light switch on and touch the hot wire feeding power to the bulb I think it is a gray wire. If you got power start from there to the bulb, if you dont you have to work backwards towards the fuse
You said you had it in storage pull a lense cover and check for corrosion in the socket. My passing lights turn off if my high beam is switched on did you check that?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Is there a way to leave the wigwag running off the handlebar switch and wire the switch on the back of the forks to turn on and off like a civilian RK?
The wigwag on the 2 lights is not legal for civilians. to be legal, it has to be a single light that has a high/low beam. This way, the light is not flashing (on/off) but is changing(high/low). two headlights that are high/low are illegal for civilians as well, as are seperate high and low lights(roadglide).

·
Faithful to the bottle
487 Posts
Wig wag and steady opperation can be done with a commercially available head light flasher unit from any one of the Emergency product suppliers. Each hot wire will get run to the flasher unit and then 2 switches, one for steady (high beam connection) and one for flash. If the high beam wire is on it automatically overides the flaser function. As long as your passing lamps arent "on" the lamps will flash when you flip the witch. You could run the emergency swicth so that the first position is flashing and the second overides it with the steady. Very simple mods. There is a 2 pin plug probably in the left side cover or by the battery that will have power in position 1 of the slide switch. That was intended to run the old pole light.
I have strobes in mine and find it very effective in demanding attention to your presence in a lane while at night. People snap to attention. I have it wired to the momentarry old siren enable line on the horn swich. I used the siren enable switch above it to run the passing lamps.

Always a good idea to get the police suppliment for the bike, gives you all the wire colors and locations as these bikes run a completely different harness than a civillian bike dose.

-S

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,920 Posts
WTF

Is it just standard procedure now for newbs to come in with no intro and dig up zombie threads from 10+ years ago?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts