V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to convert one side of a jet ski trailer to haul my 14 SGS. figure i would cut off the bunks and either add a rail or a floor. thoughts on either? if doing the floor figured id bolt/weld some supports and then use marine grade plywood with possibly some thin diamond plate. would appreciate any suggestions. trailer is rated for 2700#. the jetski is listed at 800# so about the same as the bike and so i figured having a bike on one side and pwc on the other would be comparable to 2 pwc's.
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would be recommended:
aluminum vs steel?
square tube vs angle?
what gauge and size for either recommendation?

Debating the weight vs cost issue and what is sufficient vs overkill and going too heavy/expensive

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
If your trailer is aluminum, then use aluminum. If steel, then steel.
Whichever it is, I would use tubing. 1/8" minimum sidewall.
Can not see what the front cross rail is, but if it is angle, I would reinforce it with another piece.
Assuming the outside rail is on the same plane as the interior rails, I would add a rail front to back in the center of the trailer and three cross pieces from side to middle, spaced evenly. Then use 3/4" plywood as a floor with a wheel chock up front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks that’s what I was thinking too. It is steel. Obviously if welding then I would use steel but was wondering about aluminum and just bolting. But yeah that’s pretty much what I had in mind. It’s all square tubing not angle and yes the surface is all flush.

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
The down side to using tubing on anything marine related is it starts corroding from the inside out.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Have you given any thought on loading and unloading?
Will there be footing if you are straddling the bike?
Or it will take two people to load/unload.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts