·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 EG
K&N 3909 Air Filter Kit
Rhinehart TD
ThunderMax using map 393

Have had the ThunderMax for about 2000 miles now and my mileage on a trip from Jersey to Ohio was 36MPG averaging around 65MPH

I guess I should lean it out in the highway cruising RPM range.....correct?

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, Glyder. I've never gotten better than 35 mpg on my '07 Streetglide, neither when it was a stock Stage I, nor with the current 107" kit.

Yesterday I did the tape on the throttle bit to figure where my cruising range is. I discovered that I'm usually cruising at around 21% throttle, so today I leaned the map out some in the 15% to 25% range from about 2300 rpm to 3000 rpm.

This is a much smaller, but more targeted, range than I've tried before. I went out today, but only put about 100 miles on the bike and can't really tell yet if it's made a difference. In the past I've targeted too large a range and didn't like the way the bike ran with the leaner setting. This small range doesn't affect the power curve, so hopefully I'll see some improvement.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep! Ive never been happy with my mileage but the bike does seem to run good like it is but figure I should be doing a little better than that. Around towns one thing but out on the highway I figure I should be able to do better than 36.
I wish there was a tuner around here that was familiar with the TMax so I could put it on the dyno.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
98" RevPerf
11-1 cr
615/585 cams
3.37 primary ratio
SERT tuned by Springer and Bean
45 mpg :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
The only advice I can give is stop worying about it. My stock 88 got about 36mpg and my 95 is getting about 36mpg. Seems to be a magic number for my bike and I am just going to enjoying the ride.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Snaps said:
Yesterday I did the tape on the throttle bit to figure where my cruising range is. I discovered that I'm usually cruising at around 21% throttle, so today I leaned the map out some in the 15% to 25% range from about 2300 rpm to 3000 rpm.
I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you're doing the conversion from percent to degrees since the TMAT maps are in degrees of TPS.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
ToBeFrank said:
I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you're doing the conversion from percent to degrees since the TMAT maps are in degrees of TPS.
Good point. I actually meant to say degrees instead of percent. I marked the tape by having the ECM linked through the Smartlink software and watching the throttle position on one of the AFR pages.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
I have found, that the best way is to hook up your laptop and ride the bike while using the monitoring function. Make sure to ride in your cruising range for a good long time. Then play back the data log and see what the throttle position is at those certain speeds and rpms. Then you will know exactly where to lean it out.

Zippers likes to set their MAPs at 13.2 to 1 afr. This makes for a nice running bike with lots of response. They admit the mpgs suffer at that setting. So adjust for cruise, you wll be okay.

On my 3K trip to Colorado, I averaged about 36mpgs. The best I gotwas 46mpgs at altitude running around a National Park. The worst I got was 30 in stop and go traffic.

That's what I have found out with my Zippers modified bike.
Hope it helps.

Mak​

·
Registered
114 Posts
Zeab said:
The only advice I can give is stop worying about it. My stock 88 got about 36mpg and my 95 is getting about 36mpg. Seems to be a magic number for my bike and I am just going to enjoying the ride.
Got to agree with Ya there. It's the ride not the MPG.

·
Not FNG anymore
183 Posts
Glyder said:
2007 EG
K&N 3909 Air Filter Kit
Rhinehart TD
ThunderMax using map 393

Have had the ThunderMax for about 2000 miles now and my mileage on a trip from Jersey to Ohio was 36MPG averaging around 65MPH

I guess I should lean it out in the highway cruising RPM range.....correct?
Set your AFR at 14.1 with timing at 34 at 2500, 35 at 2750, 36 at 3000 at level cruise. Drop timing and AFR to accelerate, run uphill or run top end. I get 42 - 44 MPG. My 07' Ultra runs 110 mph with AFR set at 12.8 timing at 24 degrees in 5 gear. These are DTT numbers. Reason for mileage is long legs on trips. Other bikers I ride with get 43-45 MPG, we all stop at same time on trips, one 03' one 06'.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Curtis Shipp said:
Set your AFR at 14.1 with timing at 34 at 2500, 35 at 2750, 36 at 3000 at level cruise. Drop timing and AFR to accelerate, run uphill or run top end. I get 42 - 44 MPG. My 07' Ultra runs 110 mph with AFR set at 12.8 timing at 24 degrees in 5 gear. These are DTT numbers. Reason for mileage is long legs on trips. Other bikers I ride with get 43-45 MPG, we all stop at same time on trips, one 03' one 06'.
Curtis,

Could you e-mail me your modified MAP? I'd like to study it and see if I can bring my mpgs up too.

Thanks

Mark

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
duhast said:
Wish I got 36mpg. I'm down in the low 30's, and I'm trying to stay off the go-handle.
I've NEVER seen 36 MPG, even when my bike was new and bone stock. And the only difference between using the throttle as an on/off switch and nursing it is 32 vs 30. -2$en#e- -2$en#e- -2$en#e-

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Mike H. said:
I've NEVER seen 36 MPG, even when my bike was new and bone stock. And the only difference between using the throttle as an on/off switch and nursing it is 32 vs 30. -2$en#e- -2$en#e- -2$en#e-
Mike,

I'm guessing that's because you are running around at sea level and in traffic all the time. I got in the mid 40s when I was at altitude in the Rockies, and riding for long periods of time. So unless you go to the Big Island, and ride Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, your mpgs really won't change.

Mark

·
Not FNG anymore
183 Posts
Mike H. said:
To get 40+ mpg you will need to get your AFR in the 14.0 range at cruise. With a carb you will need a WEGO2 from DTT and ride and rejet your midrange.Then get your wot main jet to 12.8 AFR. It is a lot of work.

·
Living for the ride
1,351 Posts
95" BB
42 Mikuni
Baisley heads
TW6HG Cams
Supertrapp 2-1 Megaphone
Twintec ignition
37 mpg on highway:hmmm:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Build listed below. 38 to 43 mpg depending on wrist action.

Personally I don't worry about mpg. I get what I get. Doesn't bother me to stop more often. Maybe that will change when I get my new Corbin this week. :)

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Curtis Shipp said:
To get 40+ mpg you will need to get your AFR in the 14.0 range at cruise. With a carb you will need a WEGO2 from DTT and ride and rejet your midrange.Then get your wot main jet to 12.8 AFR. It is a lot of work.
98"
11.0-1 cr
615/585 cams
2-1 pipes
Road King

Getting 46+ mpg consistently. And not even CLOSE to 14.0 afr.

Get it PROPERLY TUNED!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts