V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 FXDX that is running 83 horsepower and 90 lb. ft of torque and the factory clutch is slipping under high load now. What in your experience opinion should i go with for a good all around clutch? I dont go to the track every weekend, i'm highway riding and racing from stoplight to stoplight. Thanks anything will help!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
A new stock clutch with a 340lb spring adjusted properly will be just fine and be fairly easy to pull in at the lever. I used an AIM spring and HD makes good ones too, but HD springs are rated in Kilograms so I don't know what part number is 340lbs. The HD spring rated around the 340ish lbs mark will work fine as well.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I run an SE diaphragm spring, stock plates, with an easy pull. Mine used to slip, but not any more. My bike is a lot heavier than yours, and my numbers are in the 90's.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
HD clutch is hard to beat. Stock clutch can handle what you have going there.
I would be more concerned with compensator. They tend to be a little weak when you jack them up and run them hard.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
What Smitty said. Stock clutch can handle everything you've got. Have you tried adjusting yours?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got this bike a month and a half ago and adjusted it about 2 weeks ago, the idiot that had it before me i believe wore the clutch out because it was way out of adjustment, the bike has 16,000 miles, i've put on 1500 of those. I hear a slight "whine" when the bike comes down from speed around 27-30 mph it is the loudest. The belt and Primary chain are all adjusted properly so i think its the clutch

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Just replace it with OEM. Good to go.

·
Registered
138 Posts
im looking for a clutch that is mo strong as well, except I like something with a hard clutch pull.. I never liked an easy to pull clutch lever.. Whats the strongest clutch you can get besides those belt primary fangled contraptions... im looking for the strongest i can get to hide under my primary cover....

·
Outsider
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
that looks cool, reminds me of a centrifugal clutch you see that just pulls after a certain rpm, i like using the clutch myself i just want overkill for strength.. i ride really hard and I dont like soft lever pull on clutches..

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
Get the energy one extra plate clutch kit with a 25% stronger diaphragm spring. Has a good lever pull...I run one with a 10% stronger spring on my 117 ci motor with no problems...that a regular dyno or my own personal butt dyno could pick up. My frend has one with a 25% spring on his 103 mackie build and it does not slip. He smoked the first one by doing to many hole shots and wheelies and energy one replaced it for free. Thats when they gave him the 25% spring. Apparently energy one says that you should be able to run there extra plate clutch pack with a 10% stronger spring in big motors with no problems. Thats why they replaced it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
awesome 2wheelrider, you have answered my prayers.. I'm gonna go with the kit u described with 25% stronger diaphragm.. Anyone know any tutorials on changing the old clutcheroo???

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Serive manual is the best " tutorial" available. some tips, use a magnet to pull the steel plates and a scribe to pull the fiber plates. Clutches are easy, unless it's a 90-97 evo POS, that's what I'm working on right now for a MC bro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Everybody by the way, this was my first post on this website and really appriciated the help. I got an easy pull clutch kit, and scored a stock clutch with 6000 miles off a friend for free and got a heavy duty spring. THANKS AGAIN!

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
Thanks Everybody by the way, this was my first post on this website and really appriciated the help. I got an easy pull clutch kit, and scored a stock clutch with 6000 miles off a friend for free and got a heavy duty spring. THANKS AGAIN!
If you find that slipping you can add a VPC to it and you will have solid lockup for sure...

I am running a stock clutch with an SE spring and a VPC.. It holds my 107" just fine. Not sure how much horsepower I have as I have let my Thundermax do the tuning for me, but I imagine I am in the 105/110 area...

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
+1 what Sublime said. That's the exact setup I ran in my 98" for several years and many passes at the strip. Held up very well.

If you find you want a bit more grip, I still have my VPC 83T and will save you some $$ off a new one. With the SE spring, it's good for up to 135 TQ/HP, but wasn't up to the task of my 117. :whistle:

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I started having problems with my stock clutch slipping after I found a tire that would hook up. Just installed a Barnett heavy spring and put amsoil super shift ATF fluid in it. No more slipping, clutch+throttle=front tire in the air.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey dynaryda, which rear did u use that hooked? I need new rubber soon and well those stock oem dunlops that came on my 09 night train get really loose on me and i want something that hooks hard

1 - 20 of 21 Posts