V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
I'm Yvan from Switzerland and with one of my friend we will comme and visit you next year for the 100th anniversary of HD. I actually own a bike (FLSTF 2001), but it would be cool if we find two used bike (no matter how they are, as long as we can ride them) for the trip. Thank you if you can help me for the mission!

·
Registered
684 Posts
masyva,

You might want to look at the "fly and ride" program available through HOG. I haven't had the opportunity to try the program myself, so you may want to ask others what they think. Sounds like it might be what you need.

PS - PLEASE don't let JimmyK know I put you onto this!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Good recommendation, Straydog.

Masyva, to "buy" a couple bikes and only use them for a short time and then have to sell the bikes would be quite a hassle. And older "used" bikes may not be as dependable as you need. If the "Fly and Ride" program (which is only available to HOG members) doesn't work for you, there are many places here in the U.S. that rent bikes.

By reserving a bike over a year in advance, and maybe making an advance payment on the rental charge, you should be able to find rental bikes. Rental rates vary. Expect from $100-150/day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yvan,
You may want to try www.eaglerider.com. They will rent you the bike of your choice for a day, weekend or week. Their rates are very reasonable. They have offices all across the US and you can even rent a bike in one city and drop it off in another.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Answered on a similar thread earlier.

If you are sort of picky and intend to stay over here longer then a couple of weeks, there may be another option.

A few years ago Lufthansa Cargo had a deal where they would ship your bike uncrated from LAX to Frankfurt for a little under $800.00
All you had to do was disconnect the battery and empty the fuel tank, and they had a limited number of seats on these planes so you could fly with the bike and just ride away. They even had a service where they took care of customs. Not sure if they still have it, but you can check with them.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
FATVETTE said:

And he's not kidding. Sorry Jimmy, I just had to.:D

Bla HahahahahaI'mGettingAComplexNow HA!

It's ok, Honest! It's OK! He has a 2001 and the first year is free

Bla Hahahahahahhahhahah

Ok all kidding aside.

I work for an Airline and The Hippo has by far the best suggestion under the circumstances. Our newly inducted into the U.N. riding brother should look at shipping his baby out here. What could be better? Riding HIS own baby on the trip of a lifetime?

Good Lord, think about it. To be from The Alps and be able to take a picture of HIS bike before Mt. Rushmore! Take THAT back to The Alps and I can promise you, the intimate relationship between him and HIS baby will be fantastic!

It is not about Sturgis, it is about riding YOURS to Sturgis!

Renting a Bike $140 a day
Cargo Transport to America $800
Riding Your Swiss Plates in Sturgis Priceless

OK, I Double Dog Dare anyone to punch a hole in this one!

Bla HahaStickYerToungeOutAndTouchTheFrozenPoleNow HA!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Renting a Bike $140 a day
Cargo Transport to America $800
Riding Your Swiss Plates in Sturgis Priceless

OK, I Double Dog Dare anyone to punch a hole in this one!

Milwaukee, dude, Milwaukee. LOL

But the thinking stands. 14K ft in CO, 12K in the Beartooths, a unique opportunity to look down on the little hills of "Yurrup", trip of a lifetime.
Worked for me.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
HIPPO said:

Milwaukee, dude, Milwaukee. LOL

But the thinking stands. 14K ft in CO, 12K in the Beartooths, a unique opportunity to look down on the little hills of "Yurrup", trip of a lifetime.
Worked for me.

WHAT!?!

HolyShit! I just re-read the thing. I was thinking Black Hills and he was talking Milwaukee????

(sigh) Ok I suppose I am commited now, ( or at leastwise should be! ).

Yes, the thinking still stands, I suppose.

OMG!

Now what in the Hell am I gonna do? I just advised a guy how best to get to.... Milwaukee ****!

Ok the damage is done and I ain't gonna hit the edit button.

Pondering Now What To Say

OH I KNOW!

When ya get here, DON'T DRINK THE BEER!

I am flying to Amsterdam on the 30th just to get a decent brew!

Psssst. While it is true I am flying there, if you believe that is the only reason , ya never been! LOL!

WHO YA?

IB

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I know, LOL, best beer is in Ireland anyway, just don't tell them I said so.

Stop at "The other place" and say hi to big Will.

Psssst!!!! I don't have an Amsterdam HD shirt in my collection anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are great. I already knew about the "fly & ride" thing.

The only problem is I'm going to stay for a month or so. And, 100-150$ per day is a bit expensive for me.

With my friend, we plan on buying a bike over there, and bring it back here. So if you know about place where we can find what we need, just let me know!

Take care and have a lot of fun!:)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
HIPPO said:
I know, LOL, best beer is in Ireland anyway, just don't tell them I said so.

Stop at "The other place" and say hi to big Will.

Psssst!!!! I don't have an Amsterdam HD shirt in my collection anymore.

My brother let me know if you see something you like,

http://www.flexnet.nl/~theotherplace/

·
Registered
128 Posts
JimmyK I just came back from a 3 year gig over in Europe (again!). Took my daughter and son in-law to Amsterdam and the Red Light District. They were both very "impressed" with the coffee shops and other various "goodies" in the windows. Man I miss it and am ready to back! Maybe in a few years. Have a great time and have some "coffee" for me. And yes HIPPO the best bear in the world is in Ireland and I have been to the "Mecca" in Dublin. Of course I am 100% Irish and raised on the stuff. So I am biased in that regard. This 3.2 piss water here in the U.S. they call beer ain't worth drinking (for a buzz):)

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Come on guys. 3.2 beer IS like buffalo piss but you ain't lived 'till you've had a warm Bud with formaldehyde.... It'll give you a buzz if you ain't used to it and at the time it was great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No problem folks! It's the general HD talk, after all! But don't forget me, if you find bikes or a place where I can find what I need, just le me know. :D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Play around with this link and you will get some idea of what the market looks like at any given time and place.

LINK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts