V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 Evo started making what sounds like a bad bearing noise, so I decided to pull the screen and have a look. The magnet pulled nothing out of the screen cavity, but when I checked the screen it was dirty as hell. Cleaned it down real well, then ran the magnet through the solution run off and came up with a half dozen or so tiny metallic particles that were barely visible. I check the oil for shavings on every change and have never seen anything on the magnets. I'm planning on pulling the cam this weekend to check the bearing, any other thoughts on what to check? How worried should I be about the small number and size of the bits found?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm guessing that you have a lifter roller needle bearing going out. Get those lifters out of there now, don't wait because it is also scoring the inside of your oil pump. The oil pump is the first place the metal goes when you are lunching a lifter. good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I'm guessing that you have a lifter roller needle bearing going out. Get those lifters out of there now, don't wait because it is also scoring the inside of your oil pump. The oil pump is the first place the metal goes when you are lunching a lifter. good luck!
@gree: Yup! Pull cam and lifters and take the oil pump apart carefully. If you find a bad lifter, replace them all. Look at the cam very carefully after you clean it off, you don't want any gauling on the lobes, hopefully they are still shiny. You can put a wine cork in the cam bearing and a rag in the breather hole and lean the bike over on the right side and wash the cam chest out...especially behind the gear that's still on the shaft. That's where little pieces like to hide. You don't want to leave them in there to get caught up in the oil pump later. I even went further and took the oil pan off and cleaned it out. It was a job, but I was happy that I did.
Alan :beer:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys, and good call on checking behind the gear bigbad: one small bit stuck up behind it. Getting ready to pull the pump (after I get new Allen socket set:Murphy's law, the one I need is the only one I don't have) and have a couple questions. Isn't the screen there to prevent **** from getting into the scavenger side of the pump, or am I totally off on the path oil takes in an Evo? Also, if I find scoring, how much is too much? Pumps a f'ing expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so the pump is clean, no scoring and now put back on the bike. Now that I have daylight instead of crappy lighting in garage, I notice the breather cavity is scored. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only way that's happening is if something like a bearing or race crapped out in the case, correct? This all stared due to hearing what sounded like bearing noise.

·
Registered
569 Posts
the screen is to protect the tappets.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
So how are the lifters?? Did you find a bad lifter?? The scoring in the breather cavity does indicate that some metal ran through there. If you need to replace the breather, an option is to use the S&S reed valve...it doesn't turn and the scoring won't come into play, unless it is scored excessively. BTW, if the lifters aren't bad, did you find the source of the noise/damage?? You should replace the cam bearing even if it is still good since you are into the chest. The torrington bearing is the one you want instead of the stock HD bearing. Sometimes the dealer here tries to sell me the HD bearing even tho I asked for the torrington bearing. I have to tell them "no, go back to your shelf and get the torrington bearing". Look at it before you walk out the door.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lifters were fine. I believe the source of the noise and damage is the main bearing(s). I pulled the front head and jug, fished my magnet around the bottom of the case and came up with a good bit of metallic bits. Also found the head and piston coated with a **** load of carbon. Gotta love the suprises that come with buying a used bike from someone that knows nothing about em. New post is "performance rebuild on a budget". So much for enjoying the amazing central Florida riding weather for a while. The cam bearing is a torrington, but its going to be replaced anyway and the s&s reed valve is going in to replace the stock mechanism.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts