V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need advice....I lost my only key to my 2006 Street Glide:badmood: It was a barrel key.
Will I be able to get a replacement from the stealer? If I can get the code or number, would a locksmith be able to cut me a new one (actually make that two, obviously need a spare!)?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Ok, need advice....I lost my only key to my 2006 Street Glide:badmood: It was a barrel key.
Will I be able to get a replacement from the stealer? If I can get the code or number, would a locksmith be able to cut me a new one (actually make that two, obviously need a spare!)?
Just take your vin to the dealer, with proof of ownership if you didn't buy it there and you can order a pair of keys, leaving here in a few minutes to go pick up a set myself.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Go to the dealer tell him you want a saddle bag lock with 2 keys. it will be about 25 or 30 bucks. If you tell them you lost the only key and all you want are keys they will be $50.00 I know it dont make since but that was my experience. you can call them if they have your vin# on file. it will take 7 to 10 days to get in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will it take days/weeks to get replacements?
This is not looking good for me...supposed to leave for Sturgis in a couple weeks......

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you have a side bag lock take it off and go to any real locksmith that does barrel keys. I spent about $20 to have a new lock re-keyed and he was able to read it off the side bag lock. I use a remote and couldn't find my keys that day.

hint -- take a digital camera and snap 10 pictures of the lock mechanisms from various angles before you remove them. sometimes hard to figure out on reassembly...

·
Registered
30 Posts
or possibly remove the steering head lock. a real locksmith can do wonders. BTW - I never gave him my address and paid cash just because...

Also -- have a great time at Sturgis. If it was like Daytona BW -- fewer crowds, better deals on parts/shirts, more serious bikers. If my son wasn't starting college in 2 weeks I would do a sturgis trip this time. Hopefully I will be there in 2012 after last one is away. probably won't have the gas money then.. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
VIN# to dealer and you will have new keys in approx. two weeks. I think they cost $24.00. You will get two with your key "number blank". You dont have to explain anything other than you need new keys. If it costs more than around 24 bucks (tax?) tell them to pack sand and find a good lock smith. If you cant get keys by Sturgis you could buy a disk lock,or a chain lock. Wont solve the saddle bag/tour pack lockability but the bike would be safe. As always, if they want it bad enough they will take it anyway they can. Good luck! See you in Sturgis!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
Any barrel key will work to open your gas cap Motorhead5 but not your ignition or saddlebags. Either your dealer was grossly misinformed or you misunderstood what he was sayin.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I am a locksmith and it takes only minutes to make a key for your scoot. It you take the bike to the locksmith there is no trip fee and plus he will be able to make sure the key he cuts works well in all the locks on the bike. I get called to come to my local HD dealer at least 3 times a year during Sturgis to make keys. Alot quicker then waiting 2 weeks for a key you can have in 30 minutes.
Electra 1

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Under the black plastic is #,everyone should write this down. You can give them your number pay $30 or and wait 3 weeks or so.

A local locksmith made me a key for $2-3. He told me they only make 2000 different keys. Which is probably true of any vehicle. Only so many ways you can grind one. They record if a key has ever been made and it goes into a database. He knew one of my keys had been copied before. I did it at a tent in Sturgis. Not sure if that guy was keeping track.

I keep extra key in my jacket, plus at home.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Under the black plastic is #,everyone should write this down. You can give them your number pay $30 or and wait 3 weeks or so.

A local locksmith made me a key for $2-3. He told me they only make 2000 different keys. Which is probably true of any vehicle. Only so many ways you can grind one. They record if a key has ever been made and it goes into a database. He knew one of my keys had been copied before. I did it at a tent in Sturgis. Not sure if that guy was keeping track.

Correct about the key code. Take the code to the locksmith and he can look up code and cut key. Still quicker then a week or two from the dealer. When ever you get a bike new or used you should always write the key code down and keep it in your wallet. If key is lost call a locksmith give them year and make plus key code and a key is made. I only give the key to a person that has given a code once they prove bike / vehicle is theirs. Verifing license and registration.

Only write key code on paper and leave in wallet. Do not write all other info of bike by key code. That way if someone steals your wallet they have a code, if they know what the number is for, but they will not have the other info that a locksmith will ask and it will send red flags when a person asking for a key by code for their scoot, but can't tell you year and model. Stuff that only the owner will know without guessing.

Hope this helps.
Electra 1

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where is this located?

I am looking for where the code is located on the bike.. Under black plastic??? Not sure where the plastic is. Just lost only key!

·
Banned
5,840 Posts
I am looking for where the code is located on the bike.. Under black plastic??? Not sure where the plastic is. Just lost only key!
That code is on the key itself, under the plastic tab on end. Your best bet , if you have no key, is to go to a locksmith with a copy of your registration , to have two keys made. -2$en#e-

:coffee:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Just take your vin to the dealer, with proof of ownership if you didn't buy it there and you can order a pair of keys, leaving here in a few minutes to go pick up a set myself.
As he says, take your registration / Title....that shows both your ownership....and VIN.
I am sure they will want a Photo ID too.
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
35 Posts
I cannot believe I found this key after searching for 1 1/2 hrs. It was laying on the wet ground (night time) about an eith of a mie down the road from where I took off. The key ring and other keys were destroyed from cars running them over, but the traffic-worn barrel key is still intact and useable. Must be living good. We shall see when I pull the cam chest cover tomorrow for tensioner inspection..
Thanks to WEB and TEN for chiming in for me in a rather stressful situation. I appreciate that!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts