V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please help with some simple step by step wiring instructions to install a mini tach (P/N 67943-96B) on a 02 RKC. I'm looking at the instructions that came with the mini tach. I've removed the hardware on the bike - I just need help with wiring. The instructions say remove seat, battery, right saddlebag, and right side cover, aren't all the wires connected in the nacelle?

On the 2002 I don't believe I need to plug any wires under the side cover / battery area. I removed the headlight and found in the nacelle a orange/white wire and a black wire, both with connectors on them and a pink wire with a weird clear plastic plug cover on it.

The wiring harness for the tach has a red wire, black wire, and a yellow wire.

I guess I just need confirmation that this is how the wires mate up in the nacelle and no wires are plugged into any other area.
Red (lead) harness wire to orange/white nacelle wire. Is red Power?
Black (ground) harness wire to black nacelle wire.
Yellow (Signal) harness wire to pink wire. Is pink wire the one that registers rpm?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You got it, that's the basic hook up.

Perhaps they mean to disconnect the battery when working on the bike. It might not really be necessary in this case, but it is a real good habit to get into and only takes a few seconds.
These bikes under some conditions can crank for strange reasons, like as working on the primary, lots of people that knew what they were doing but got careless have lost fingers. Accidentally shorting some wires can take out electronics. $hit happens, people slip.
Perhaps they mean to remove the side cover to upgrade a fuse or something of that nature, sometimes there are steps for specific years and models.

The HD instructions seem to be machine translations from korean, but after a while you get the hang of what they actually mean.

It is usually not necessary to follow them, but it is a good idea to try and understand them.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll hook all the wires together tonight and see if it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts