V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Electra-Glide classic with FI and security system. My problem is when I turn on the ignition switch the FI pump runs, FI light goes out, and after about 5 seconds it comes back on. When I hit the start switch, it runs for about a second and dies. If I cycle the switch it does the exact same thing. I disconneced the security system just in case, no help. I'm hoping it is something simple. I'm stuck out of town and it is Sat. night with no dealers close. Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Just a few preliminary suggestions.

The bike isn't going to run with the TSSM disconnected. If you had a TSM to replace it with you could determine wether it is the bike or the security system.

When there is a security system issue it will exhibit precisely those symphtoms.

Did the alarm arm and disarm normally as far as the action of the position lites and security lite?
Hopefully you did not disconnect the TSSM or the battery while the TSSM was armed. (If this is the case put it all together the way it was, play dumb and call a tow truck on monday)

If you have nothing with you reconnect the TSSM and disconnect the battery for a while. If possible with the disconnected positive battery cable either touch it or jump it to the connected negative cable at the battery.
Check all the fuses both in the fuse box and the two separate ones on the other side under the side covers even if they initially seem totally unrelated, the two separate ones should be fine if the pump primes but you never know. If possible use a test lite as opposed to just looking at them and make sure the little pins behind them didn;t push out of the fuse box.
If you have the owners manual with you go thru the initialization sequence like for a new bike.
See if it runs.

The only other thing you could do is to try and retrieve codes from the diagnostic connector by jumping pins 1 and 2 and see what you get.
This isn't very reliable on a Delphi bike, but we might get some clue from it.

If you are not real confident keep it real simple as little mistakes can do damage to the electronics.

I'm going to dinner in a bit but will check the board when I get back to see if we can do anything. Gather as much info as you can.

If these simple things don't help you might be better off biting the bullet and go and have a bottle of Stoli and wait it out until the shops open. Do not let people not familiar with these bikes even try. It gets expensive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply HIPPO. I armed and disarmed the system with the FOB. I also armed the system with the FOB and disarmed it using the turn signals. It made no difference. I will try disconnecting the battery for a while. If that doesn't work, I'll have to bite the bullet and catch a ride home and pick up my trailer and trailer if back. I don't have a warm and fuzzy about crossing pins. The bike only has 5,000 miles on it. Don't want to mess anything up that the warranty will not cover.

I don't think I did this, but will it mess the system up if I try to start it before the FI light goes out?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disconnected the + side of the battery and checked the fuses. All the fuses were good. Reconnected the battery, but it still didn't work. Looking more and more like it might be something with the FI computer. Looks like I'll have a long day tomorrow retrieveing my trailer.

Thank you for your assistance. If you have any other ideas I'll try them in the morning. Hope dinner was good.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Thanks, nothing special, just a nice New York strip and a bottle of Black Opal.
There goes a weeks wages. LOL.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It sounds like the fuel system is not fully primed. You didn't say whether you ran it out of gas or tippped - both can cause the fuel system to not be primed. There is a tip sensor that is activated on a tip of over 45 degrees that shuts off fuel via the ECM. It is possible that the fuel pump is not fully priming the fuel system during the initial prime before you hit the starter switch.
You might get lucky by turning the ignition on and off a few times and letting the fuel pump come on each time without pressing the starter switch. After about a minute of that try the starter swich.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got it home late this afternoon. I'm not sure what did it but, it now starts up. I did disconnect the battery for a while last night but didn't want to start it because it as do late and the bike was right next to a neighbor's door. This morning, after i took a long trip home to get my trailer, I cycled the ignition switch through three times. I still got the same light indications but the bike fired right up and stayed running. Road it around for a little while and ran great.

The light indications I'm getting are; turn the ign switch on, the check engine light comes on for about 4 sec as it should; the light goes out and comes back on after about another 4 seconds; it then goes out after about 6 to 8 seconds. All the book says is to take it to the dealer if it comes on after it goes out the first time. That is where i'm off to tomorrow.

Thank you for all your ideas. I think one of them might have done the trick. Not sure which one but it is working.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It means the ECM has a stored historic code.

It will go away after 50 start cycles if the problem does not recurr.

If you take it to the dealer to get the code cleared ask him for the code # so we can try to figure out what it was.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from the dealer and the tech said there was a code 1010 (missing or no password). He said the password was there or it would not have been able to start at all. The service manager or the tech could not explain why it gave that code with the password being there. They said they have seen this before. What they have seen the most is the password actually missing and the bike needing to be trailered in. Everything looks as it is suppose to. I'll keep the disconnecting the battery trick in the back of my mind. He thinks that is what allowed it to start and run.

Thanks again for the help. Oh HIPPO, I think I make our better on this deal than you; your dinner was not under warranty.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Don't know about that, dinner with a good bottle of wine has some fringe benefits attached to it.

I have heard of this before and we discussed it with some people, all it takes is for the data link connection to be lost temporarily, and it will show a historic password code as opposed to a hard code when it is actually missing. There was some speculation on the causes at the time, but I forgot what it was. I just try to borrow a takeoff TSM for long trips, the lazy man's out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HIPPO, I must confess, when I read your first reply, I had to go out and get something to eat too. You dinner sounded good. The more I learn about this the more I'm thinking your idea of disconnecting the battery helped solve the problem. The only thing I found when I first checked the bike over was the fuse holder that has the EFI fuses in it was laying at the bottom of the side cover instead of latched in its holder. Now whether vibration caused an interruption in the circuit or not, I'm not sure. Who knows with this electrical stuff.

I'll caulk this one up as a lesson learned and pass the information on to others in case they have the same problem. Thank you again.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Kampnnut:

Been following this thread with interest. If your connections are like most I've seen, you might consider using some electrical contact cleaner on the EFI fuse socket and TSSM sockets. Then some electrical contact grease on them.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Sounds like all the computer guys here at work....no matter what problem you are having, they always say "shut it down, wait five minutes and reboot, call me if it's still having the same problem". Do they really think I hadn't already tried thet???????? My monitor could be on fire and they'd tell me to try rebooting to see if that puts the fire out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
logical said:
Sounds like all the computer guys here at work....no matter what problem you are having, they always say "shut it down, wait five minutes and reboot, call me if it's still having the same problem". Do they really think I hadn't already tried thet???????? My monitor could be on fire and they'd tell me to try rebooting to see if that puts the fire out.
You'd be surprised how many people do not try rebooting first. In my experience a reboot can resolve about 90% of the problems. Windows 2000 and XP seem to be a lot better about this. Don't know why your computer guys tell you to wait five minutes. Don't see how that would make a difference. Never had a monitor on fire yet, so I don't know if a reboot would put it out. :) I will have to remember to try that. :)

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
03FLSTCI said:

You'd be surprised how many people do not try rebooting first. In my experience a reboot can resolve about 90% of the problems. Windows 2000 and XP seem to be a lot better about this. Don't know why your computer guys tell you to wait five minutes. Don't see how that would make a difference. Never had a monitor on fire yet, so I don't know if a reboot would put it out. :) I will have to remember to try that. :)
I think the "wait five minutes" basically assures them that they won't hear from the person again for at least five minutes....gives them time to go hide somewhere.

·
Registered
191 Posts
logical said:

I think the "wait five minutes" basically assures them that they won't hear from the person again for at least five minutes....gives them time to go hide somewhere.
Damn, someone figured out our plan:mad:

·
Just bad
698 Posts
logical said:

Another trade secret out the window.. :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey you guys broke the code of silence
Shame on you all!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts