V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Shift_Happens
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some conversion cams from ebay advertised as "andrews #26" They are conversion cams but dont have 26N stamped on them, instead this is what's stamped on them "RACE
88C 56662 MWM" Has anybody seen this before?

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Eh Hairless

Typically all Andrews are stamped to their specic grind ... a call to andrews will do the trick ... ask for Gary Wallace ... he will help ya out, nothing like hearing it from the horses mouth

Dare

2000 FXST

·
Shift_Happens
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dare, I sent an email to Andrews tech support earlier but haven't heard back. If I don't hear from them tomorrow I'll give him a call. I was just wondering if anybody has heard of these numbers befor. Thanks again.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Ask a member here bigpete1. He got a set to i think.. Supposedly they are custom grinds for a private company.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
i got some cams from same dude on ebay i am sure mine were suppose to be andrews 54 but were race 96 and race 110 ,they are ground by andrews for wmw auto ad marine consulting they must out of business because i could not find any info on company,the race 96 are same specs as crane 300 but 535 lift and the race 110 are same as 310 but 579 lift ,,andrews sent me the specs ,so iam sure they will do same for you .thanks pete

·
Shift_Happens
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got some cams from same dude on ebay i am sure mine were suppose to be andrews 54 but were race 96 and race 110 ,they are ground by andrews for wmw auto ad marine consulting they must out of business because i could not find any info on company,the race 96 are same specs as crane 300 but 535 lift and the race 110 are same as 310 but 579 lift ,,andrews sent me the specs ,so iam sure they will do same for you .thanks pete
Thank you for that info pete. Hopefull I'll here back from them today.

·
Shift_Happens
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to Gary at Andrews today and sure enough he sent me the specs on that cam. I'm going to post the specs and hopefull get some input on these things. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Shift_Happens
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at some of andrews other grinds and they seem to be the same as the 21 except with a higher lift. Would a .520 lift be too much for stock springs? What kind of set up would these cams be good for?

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I looked at some of andrews other grinds and they seem to be the same as the 21 except with a higher lift. Would a .520 lift be too much for stock springs? What kind of set up would these cams be good for?
99-04 stock heads are only rated for .510 lift, 05 and newer heads will be ok. Also, the guides would need to be cut down some.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Would guides need cut down on 05 and newer heads?
05 heads will be ok with that lift, nothing required to be changed or machined. That's the year HD changed to beehives and 7mm valves.
When you install them, you can turn the motor over with the rocker cover off and look at the valve stem. The spring retainer shouldn't hit the valve seal.
S&S sells .585 cams as "bolt in" for 05

·
Shift_Happens
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
05 heads will be ok with that lift, nothing required to be changed or machined. That's the year HD changed to beehives and 7mm valves.
When you install them, you can turn the motor over with the rocker cover off and look at the valve stem. The spring retainer shouldn't hit the valve seal.
S&S sells .585 cams as "bolt in" for 05
I appreciate your help. I measured the base circle on these cams and then measured from base to high part of the lobe and I'm only comming up with a difference on .32. Does that sound correct in measuring the lift? Can I measure that way?
Thanks.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I appreciate your help. I measured the base circle on these cams and then measured from base to high part of the lobe and I'm only comming up with a difference on .32. Does that sound correct in measuring the lift? Can I measure that way?
Thanks.
Yes and no, you have to multiply that number by your rocker arm ratio to come up with total lift. Ex. .32 x 1.625= .520

1 - 14 of 14 Posts