V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to purchase some T bars, and I found a couple of pictures of T bars that I like.
The reason I like them is because the thickness just works. It looks a bit off when they are too skinny or too thick.

Anyone happen to recognise and know which bars are in the pictures?
I've tried to find them, and it might look like it's Burleigh T bars but I am not sure.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've tried to find them
but I am not sure.
My search engine returns all sorts of brands and sizes. You can even find them on eBay and Amazon.

Font Line Material property Parallel Rectangle
Font Line Material property Parallel Rectangle
Font Screenshot Brand Elbow Logo
White Light Product Blue Font
White Product Sleeve Font Line

When T-Bar shopping, it's worth looking at westcoast-tbars. I'm not saying that you should buy from them. There are other sources.

First, consider the specs. What size are the bars? Are the bars the correct size for your controls and grips? Are the bars dimpled, in case you are installing them on a Harley Davidson. Are the bars slotted for internal wiring? Will your stock wiring be the correct length? What type of throttle do you have? Will the bars accommodate your throttle by wire, or do you have throttle cables? Are the risers set to the correct width for mounting onto your triple tree? What is the hardware size and thread pitch for mounting? Not all risers are threaded to accept OEM Harley Davidson hardware. If you have handlebar mounted accessories, will they mount onto the larger handlebars?

I have 10" T-Bars. On my bike, it was the perfect size and I was able to use the factory wiring. Everything fit perfectly. Brake line, clutch cable, throttle cables, turn signals, and wiring for the switches.

The handlebars that you see on those bikes are very similar to these:

Wood Font Metal Stonemason's hammer Pipe
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel
Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so my for the reply.

I have most likely figured out the bars. I sent an email to Burleigh, too, and they responded that the bars on the bike I really like are most likely their 12" 1-3/4" T bars.

Given my height, which is 6'1, 10" or 12" will most likely be a good fit depending on where I want my arms to be.
12" will put them around heart height and 10" will put them a little bit below.

Thanks a lot for the tip about Westcoast Tbars. I will defiantly check them out as well.
Also thank you for all the helpful tips. Thats for sure something I will have to look into. I won't be installing them myself, but I absolutely need to look into all of that so I don't have to change everything and most importantly that they actually fit on the triple tree.

Luckily I have a few months to get all this sorted out, since it's winter season with snow and crap where I live now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I won't be installing them myself, but I absolutely need to look into all of that so I don't have to change everything

If all of the wiring, clutch cable, throttle cable, and brake line fit, then it's really an easy job. You can save yourself a lot of money. If nothing fits, there are retail solutions. There are companies that sell kits with what you need.

A shop will install whatever bars you want. If nothing fits, then it just cost you more for them to put the right parts on. A good shop who will actually already have wiring, brake lines, clutch cables, and throttle cables in stock. In my opinion, it's BS if a shop sells and installs handlebars, but doesn't have those parts in stock.

I get it. I've been on both sides of that fence. I've been the guy who would rather just drop it off, pay whatever is reasonable, and pick up a finished bike. I've also been the guy wants to do it myself for personal gratification. On my bike, I can only do simple things on the jiffy stand. Changing handlebars was possible with a few hand tools. I don't have a lift. No room for a lift. And I'm not an engine or transmission builder. Same with my truck. I don't have a lift. No room for a lift. How many people actually have a lift installed in their home? I'm also not rebuilding any truck engines or transmissions.

A good shop with inventory could simply remove your handlebars, then grab 8 inch, 10 inch, and 12 inch bars to check what would fit with your stock bike. You could do the same thing. Remove the controls. Remove the handlebars. Order up the 3 sizes. Return the 2 that you don't want.

I got lucky. I measured my lines, then ordered 10 inch bars. They fit perfectly. But not. The brake line is at it's limit. Taller bars would require more brake line. The electrical wires were just enough to wire internally and fit. I do have more clutch cable and throttle cable. But every bike is different. On your bike, you may have enough factory wiring for 12" or even 14" bars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts