V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to clean the air filter on my 01 FXDL. I bought the bike used so I am not sure what type it is but it looks to be a K&N. I have included pictures of the filter and backing plate. The cover is the stock TC cover. Any help you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Get the K&N recharger kit. It's got everything in it you need. Or spray engine degreaser on it. Dunk it in a bucket of soap suds and then rinse the crap out of it. Set it somewhere to dry and re-oil. But much easier just to use the recharger kit.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I assume the SE filter and the K&N are about the same. I will shoot over to the parts store to get the recharge kit.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
if it helps any K+N makes two different PN#'s 99-5000 and 99-5050. Sould be between 10-15 bucks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it is red, it is a k&n element, buy a recharge kit and follow directions. ie, spray cleaner on outside only, hose off w/o high pressure from inside to outside, let air dry only, re-spray and re-install. If you have liquid, instead of spray cleaner, pour some in a pan and roll outside of filter in cleaner
If it is blue, as per screamin eagle catolog, says re-oiling not necessary, but is washable. Suggest you go into a harley dealer as they can pull up and print out original directions for you re: this filter or kit it was a part of. Don't know( what or how to) they say what to wash it with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts