V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I was wondering how on earth do I go about removing boot marks from my pipes. I left a big nasty glob of melted rubber. Please help! Is there any proven methods of removal? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try some never dull you can get it at Wal-Mart around 4 or 5 $ a can be careful not to rub the chrome real hard it will scratch or try Blue Magic also from Wal-Mart.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Go-Jo is an awesome heavy-duty cleaning lotion. It comes with and without pumice. If your hands are dirty from a hard day of wrenching, Go-Jo will take the dirt/grease/oil off toot-sweet and leave your hands smelling like oranges. Good Stuff:D :D

wyo

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
A little "Easy Off' oven cleaner while the pipes are still hot should do the trick.Just be very careful of overspray.You might wanna spray it on a rag first instead of directly on the pipe.

Good luck.
guido

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've tried just about everything and I've settled on two methods...

If it has to come off now, I use acetone and a little elbow grease. It leaves no scratches and doesn't care what temperature your pipes are at.

It it doesn't have to come off immediately then I do nothing. After a couple of trips to work and back the rubber turns into white soot (ash) that comes off with one wipe of a rag. It's kinda like the cleaning selection on your oven. One thing though, a trip to work and back for me is 120 miles, 80 mph and lateley it's been hot outside.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Good thread, thanks for the information.

I have some dried JuneBug residue on the upper part of the front heat shield of my Ultra, I'm gonna try the 'Easy-Off' oven cleaner method described above.

Will let you know how it works !

·
Registered
458 Posts
Guido has it right use Easy Off thats the only way to go, it just wipes off.
About every other way will leave scratches from rubbing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Melted boot syndrome

I have the same problem on my sporty. I eiter wipe it clean when the pipes are hot or I use Mothers (brand)chrome polish or Harley Chrome Brite polish and a little elbow grease.

Doc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts