V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to learn how to do basic maintenance on my Dyna Wide Glide. Lesson One: Change the oil...
I accidentally (okay, stupidly) drained the transmission oil before finally finding one tiny line in the lame manual that says the oil drain is located left rear, not center as I expected. No harm done, since I figured it out.
My problem: I want to ride tomorrow (Sunday), I have no replacement transmission oil, and none of the St. Louis dealers are open on Sunday.
My question: Is there any generic (brand name, but not H-D) transmission oil I can safely use for just one day?
Any quick help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much... I'll be there at 7:00 AM and hooking up with tomorrow's ride from The Arch by 9:00 AM! Then on Monday I'll get the Harley transmission oil and Lesson Two: Change the Transmission Oil will start Monday night.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You are extremely unlikely to find RedLine at a regular auto store, But they "should" have Mobil1 gear oil.

You can run any of these until the next change or the rest of your life.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
haha the manuals are pretty lame huh. took me awhile to figure out where and how to change my oils for the first time too. oh well once you do it once. ive gotta get a service manual. whats better, the hd one or the clymer. ive had both with previous machines, and am kinda partial to clymers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Reply To: rsed
We live in South City near Tower Grove Park. Were supposed to go on a ride to benefit the Police Athletic League (PAL) program today, but that much-needed rain finally showed up. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Texxen, The guy I bought the bike from did a bunch of customizations (through a local dealership), and he suggested pretty strongly that I not mess things by using any non-Harley product. Even though I'm sure that's not always required, I didn't want my ignorance to cost me down the road. My husband was pretty sure that any good gear oil would work, we didn't want to find out he was wrong the hard (-expensive-) way. It rained here today anyway so the ride was cancelled, which means I can buy the Harley stuff on Monday. 500+ words to answer your simple question, but I'm always accused of writing a book when a sentence is all that's necessary.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If ya ask me (which I know you didn't :) ), HD oil doesn't have any magical ingrediant that any other reputable oil has. I'd be perfectly content to run any big name brand oil. I think HD has done a nice job of convincing folks that they really should use only HD stuff, but I don't buy it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Harley has alot of dealers and customers brainwashed. I have never read or seen any information or proof of any kind that Harley lubrication products are nothing short of low quality products renamed and tripled in price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts