1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have the funds but I cannot decide what to buy-

1. EG standard
2. Road King

I like the EG but there is something about being able to take your windscreen off & tool around town..but the big dresser with a radio & all the comforts would be nice on the open road.....which one. & yes I know the EG standard does not come with a radio I'll put that in.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
I think you will find very few who actually put a fair amount miles on their scoots ever go without the windshield...in spite of the much needed extra protien source.:corn:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Electra Glide gets the vote. When i first got mine i didnt think id ever use the stereo. Now its rarely turned off. As for a windshield if u want some rocks and bugs in your teeth u can alwas get one of those sporty lookin 4 inche windshields. They change out pretty easily in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'd have to say the ElectraGlide as well. If you want the wind in your face you can always get the short windscreen or just remove it completely. I wouldn't get a bike without a windscreen now.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
I have to vote for Electra Glide. I owned a Road King(and loved it) but once we got the Electra Glide.....:banana:

I can only remember about 2 - 3 times I rode anywhere without the windshield on the Road King.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What they said! I had a Low Rider, then rode my brothers RK a bunch and test rode an EGC once to decide between the RK and EG...that was all it took. I bought the EGC. Road kings are nice but...I love the EGC. I have a low and standard windshield, along with the fairing wind deflectors. I take them on and off depending on weather and my mood. Besides, can you plug your blender into the cigarette lighter and kick back with a frozen marguerita while you're tooling down some lonsome highway at sunset on a RK? I don't think so! (it's all good, the bike knows where it's going)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I ride my dad's RK a lot and own a Electraglide. I've put a lot of miles on both this past summer. I love the RK during the day riding on back country roads at 40mph or so. It's a great cruiser and looks awesome.

Out on the highway anytime and at night, I really like the ElectraGlide more. The Glide's batwing works better than the windshield and I can go faster and for more miles easier on the ElectraGlide. I also really like having all the instruments (and the tunes!!!) right in front of me. The layout makes it easy to see what the bike is doing, especially at night. I've gotten use to being able to quickly see the turn signal indicator lights flashing at 70 when changing lanes.

On the RK, looking down to the tank for speed and not having the tunes and all the extra info from the turn signals, tach, etc. makes me more comfortable for using it for around town or mid range rides IMHO.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I vote for the electra glide classic ... its a great bang for the buck ,,,, the tourpack is very handy for around town go to the store etc duty.....it flat out rocks on the hwy or even major twisties like deals gap......and with the addition of lower fairings and cruise its all you need in a do it all motorcycle. I have 52k on a 2001 FLHTC. I sold my second bike, a lowrider because i just found myself content to always ride the glide. rat

·
OEF Vet - US Army
75 Posts
EG, I love the stereo.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
best to have both.
love my roadking for local cruisin and 100+ mile hops. bein in the heat in fl, i hardly ever put on the shield til that two weeks of winter we have.
but, movin to no. ga. next week and will be doin more tourin and be in cooler weather so i'll be lookin for an electra-glide in some form in 07'. oh, BTW, i'm
keepin the roadking too.:thumbsup:

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
Go Ultra my friend. That way you won't have to upgrade later. Top of the mountain! :yes:
Best advice given. If you can swing the extra couple bucks, go for the Ultra, especially with the new stereo! You will love this bike. If not, at least go for the EG Standard.

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
I have owned both the RK and now have a UC and I prefer the UC
I ride a bunch in Mtns and I think the UC handles the curves much better

Think someone also mentioned the few times you will actually ride a RK without windshield will dwindle quickly.

Both choices you cant go wrong

Take a look at new Street Glide as it will ride similar to a RoadKing but has the EG look

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
LAF Got it Right!!!

Gotta check out the Road Glide if you are thinking EG. EG's are great but after riding a Road Glide, I will never go back.....all personal preference of course.

I am sure the EG is just like the RG with the short screen. It takes the wind off your chest which makes the ride much more relaxing and yet you still get the wind in the face....and the rocks...and the bugs...and the sand from the dump truck with no cover.....gotta love it:woohoo:

No matter what, life is good if your biggest problem is deciding between which a Harley to buy!!

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
You have to decide how you are going to use this bike. If you plan on doing some long trips and especially if wanting to take a passenger then go for the EG. Nothing against the RK and I know plenty of folks who can put the miles on with them but the EG will be way more comfortable for you but more so for the passenger on those 500 mile days. Plus once you get a bike with tunes you will really not want to have one without it. That is unless you can have both then if that is the case by all means do it.

Now you didn't ask but I have to throw in my 2 cents that you should really give some thought to looking at the Classic or the Ultra if there is a remote chance you plan to put on a tourpac or any of the other features those come with in the future. Cost way less to do it up front than later and if you are financing you can throw it all in and it will not increase your payment much at all as opposed to comming out of pocket with a big wad for those add ons. Just a thought.

Edit. Forgot to add you should go rent them all and then you will know. Best money you could spend right now is to rent them and see how they fit you. I was amazed at how I thought I liked certian bikes but when I rented them and actually spent a weekend with them knew I would never want to own them. And lastly, rent a RG they are awsome bikes and of course they are the best you know. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts