V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my blinkers stopped working out of nowhere. When I push the buttons only the idiotlight lights up somewhat. Nothing blinks....at all.
So I thought must be my $3 (mechanical) flasher unit in the headlight. Bought a new one and installed it.
Now when I push the righthand side the right front blinker functions again BUT also the LEFT rear one 馃槺馃槰馃ズ
When I push the lefthand side nothing happens at all.
I am lost when it comes to troubleshooting electrics so if you can help me with some advice where to look & what to test next that would be very helpful.
There is an electronic ignition in my scooter and AFAIN no ecu or pcb. Bike has stock wiring.

Thanks a lot

Regards
Marcus
1990 FXRS Lowrider

Registered
Stock wiring is a Plus...
First...did you recently change Handlebars???
if Not... we gotta go into the Headlight... may be Intimidating at first... But if ya PM me we may get to the bottom of this

Registered
the front and rear signals are crossed for sure,,, most likely ar the rear fender harness,, or near the front harness where they connect to the main harness,,, in the headlight housing

Registered
I follow the rule of inspecting the last disturbed area. Remove headlight bulb, extend harness and if there's nothing obvious, ops check right and left to see what happens. New flasher may be pinched against wires because metal flasher bodies are conductive.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I changed handlebars months ago. It has always worked fine. Out of the blue this fault occurs and I have not touched any cable or plug except change the flasher unit for a new one. Very odd.

Make me use my bullet?
I changed handlebars months ago. It has always worked fine. Out of the blue this fault occurs and I have not touched any cable or plug except change the flasher unit for a new one. Very odd.
So the problem started "out of the blue", right after you replaced the flasher unit?

Did you PM Racepres?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all reactions so far.
To be clear: the problem started out of the blue during riding. Nothing was changed the past months.
I replaced the flasher unit afterwards because I hoped this would solve the issue & be an easy fix.

Registered
you know,, a wiring routing screw up, sometimes does not present itself as an issue for months or sometimes thousands of miles... so,, six months ago for a handlebar change does not rule out that being the cause of the issue..

Registered
One weird thing I had happen. On a bike with dual filament bulbs, one filament burned out, the broken filament fell onto the unburned filament and made a connection. It had similar symptoms. Something that helped me trouble shoot it was making a copy of the diagram in "PAINT" on my computer and enlarging it. Then I colored the wires on the diagram the colors of the wires. It made it a lot easier for me to see and understand the circuits that way.

Registered
One weird thing I had happen. On a bike with dual filament bulbs, one filament burned out, the broken filament fell onto the unburned filament and made a connection. It had similar symptoms. Something that helped me trouble shoot it was making a copy of the diagram in "PAINT" on my computer and enlarging it. Then I colored the wires on the diagram the colors of the wires. It made it a lot easier for me to see and understand the circuits that way.
If you have a "painted" schematic... I would be interested!!!!!

Registered
Last night my blinkers stopped working out of nowhere. When I push the buttons only the idiotlight lights up somewhat. Nothing blinks....at all.
So I thought must be my $3 (mechanical) flasher unit in the headlight. Bought a new one and installed it.
Now when I push the righthand side the right front blinker functions again BUT also the LEFT rear one 馃槺馃槰馃ズ
When I push the lefthand side nothing happens at all.
I am lost when it comes to troubleshooting electrics so if you can help me with some advice where to look & what to test next that would be very helpful.
There is an electronic ignition in my scooter and AFAIN no ecu or pcb. Bike has stock wiring.

Thanks a lot

Regards
Marcus
1990 FXRS Lowrider

Registered
are you noticing any other issues. try pulling sensor from the top of the tranny and clean any metal shaving that may be on it..or it may possibly be bad.. it tends to cause different electric issues..

FOAD
are you noticing any other issues. try pulling sensor from the top of the tranny and clean any metal shaving that may be on it..or it may possibly be bad.. it tends to cause different electric issues..
Hmmmm I doubt very much a 1990 bike has a Speed Sensor in the tranny...........Unless he has a 94 up touring transmission with a speed sensor or machined the tranny for one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts