V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, newbie here. Looking for some help on a 1999 FXR2 carburated Evo with no spark. I have replaced cam sensor (OEM 32448-95B) and the ignition module (OEM 32449-95c). Have swapped coil with known good coil. Still nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

·
FOAD
279 Posts
Simple things first is there power to the coil? - Check with a multi meter with ignition on should be a white wire and should get 12v
If not run a wire straight from battery to coil and see if bike starts and if it does then you will have to start chasing wires and relays.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simple things first is there power to the coil? - Check with a multi meter with ignition on should be a white wire and should get 12v
If not run a wire straight from battery to coil and see if bike starts and if it does then you will have to start chasing wires and relays.
Yes I have 12v at coil

·
FOAD
279 Posts
Unplug your ignition module and verify you have 12v on the white wire there as well and that the black wire has ground/earth signal. never 100% what you guys call it over there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unplug your ignition module and verify you have 12v on the white wire there as well and that the black wire has ground/earth signal. never 100% what you guys call it over there.
Thanks for replying. I will check that this afternoon and let you know what I find. Thanks for your help. By the way its called a ground. Lol :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replying. I will check that this afternoon and let you know what I find. Thanks for your help. By the way its called a ground. Lol :ROFLMAO:
White wire w/ black stripe has 12v key on.
Black wire has continuity to ground.

·
FOAD
279 Posts
You have power to everything so in theory it should spark.
I would check wiring from sensor plate in nose cone is correct and rotor cup is tight behind the sensor plate.
How did you establish no spark?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You have power to everything so in theory it should spark.
I would check wiring from sensor plate in nose cone is correct and rotor cup is tight behind the sensor plate.
How did you establish no spark?
Solved! Pink wire was broken at the connetor on the coil. Just barely. Was so hard to tell with the naked eye.

·
FOAD
279 Posts
Solved! Pink wire was broken at the connector on the coil. Just barely. Was so hard to tell with the naked eye.
Sometimes those little ring connectors look good but the wire is broken internally and it's just the insulation holding it in place so that is a good catch.
EFI connectors to the injectors were doing that on the twin cams a few years back where the wire was to tight and the rubber mounts moved enough that the wire broke but connection looked good.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

Solved! Pink wire was broken at the connetor on the coil. Just barely. Was so hard to tell with the naked eye.
LOL
about 1984 or 5, I was having what I was sure was a carb problem... so off I went replacing Carburetor, 3 or 4 times!!!
Every one of them would die at about 45MPH, but once stopped would fire right up and ride away... till about 45 MPH, where the Wind would blow the broken wire Off!!! Geeze, .. sometimes trouble shooting is a Challenge
BTW probably was Not the Pink wire...as that is the input to the Tach.. the one on with it is Triggers from Ignition... other side is the one I had broken... The White One 12vdc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts