V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 98 Heritage. When riding solo all is well. But when I throw a passenger on the back at lower speeds and sometimes while slowing down I get this annoying "chirp" that seems to be coming from the steering head.

Anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks a bunch,

Chuck

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
belt tension

Chuck if your hearing a chirping while decel, check to make sure your belt tension is not too loose. When you ride a passenger your belt tension will loosen up even more (due to the swingarm angle). If you have a windshield on the bike It makes every noise on the bike seem like its coming from the front end. Belt tension should be around 5/16 on upper belt location with someone sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
chirping from tree

i have the chirping when decel as well. seems to be coming from the handlebar area, clutch lever in particular because when it is pulled the chirping will go away. i wonder if its belt tension related since i didnt have it last year but over the winter the rear wheel was pulled. perhaps the belt tension is incorrect and is causing this. good luck....

·
Registered
521 Posts
My bike was doing the same thing a while ago...it was the belt. At first it did it all the time and after adjusting it, it only did it when i had a passenger. Adjusted it again and all was well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DesertRat said:
My bike was doing the same thing a while ago...it was the belt. At first it did it all the time and after adjusting it, it only did it when i had a passenger. Adjusted it again and all was well.
when you had the problem, was the belt too tight or too loose? thanks...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I played around with quite a bit. If I remember right, it was too loose. I also just did a search here on the forum on"chirping belt " and I found several other suggestions such as cleaning the belt and even using windex on it. Mine started chirping after replacing the tire. If you haven't done something like that, it might make more sense to try some of the other suggestions first

1 - 8 of 8 Posts