V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
FLHR those fake bags are ugly. Either sell the bags and get some real leather bags. Something like on the Nostalgias.

Best descrption I read for those stck leather bags is, ammom cans wrapped in leather.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Congratulations!!!

Your instincts are helping you along nicely!

Actually, I own a classic and love the ol'fashioned look. I also like that (when I bought mine) it came with full passing lamps, a detachable windshield, cruise control, and fuel injection all included in the same price.

As for the custom, some folks like the smoother saddlebags, and I gotta admit a chrome exchange program really makes those (model-specific) wheels pop!

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
Dave1200C said:
Went to buy a Custom and now I like the Classic. Help me decide boys.
I think it boils down to looks vs functionality...

The RK Custom looks very cool...
  • Lowered
  • Blacked out motor
  • Streamliner, swept wing rider foot boads and Streamliner pegs
  • Low profile seat
  • Chromed Cast Aluminum Wheels with Blackwall Tires
  • Clean Front Fender and Leather Bags

The Classic...
  • Passing Lamps
  • Blacked out motor
  • Cruise Control
  • Windscreen
  • Fullsize Rubber Rider and Passenger Footboards
  • Comfy seat (more comfortable than the seat on the Custom)
  • Chrome Tipped Fenders and Buckled Leather Bags
  • Spoked Wheels with Whitewall Tires

You could take one or the other, then add or subtract stuff as you saw fit, in essence, making it your own... But, those are the basic differences.

Which is more important to you? Start with functionality with decent looks or Blvd Cruiser Look out of the box and then improve from there...

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was torn with the same decision the day i purchased my touring scoot. The salesman talked me into the Classic. His word of wisdom where.. You can always take stuff off the Classic to make it look like a Custom. But.. to make the Custom look Classic, it will cost you. I went with the Classic. Good luck w/ your choice! ;)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
drdevon said:
Actually, I own a classic and love the ol'fashioned look. !
I have never seen any old bikes with bags that look like that. Theres probably something out there. There just to rigid.

I like the soft ones with the real thick leather that holds it shape. Hard would be ok, if they weren't areodynamic.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Was also torn between the two......The classic comes with alot more pratical options but the custom just looks nicer (to my biased opinion..lol...). Anyway what settled it for me was the fact that the custom is lower......(I'm no basketball player when it comes to the height department). Found I could flat foot the custom but the classic, well...the footing was a not as flat (we'll leave it at that...). Anyway I got the custom and after I got the front brakes fixed, I simply love the bike....Did stage 1 aircleaner and PC with wild pig slip-ons right after Christmas and I get compliments all around. Just get what you really want and don't let anyone (including me) talk you in to anything else...it's the only way YOU'LL be happy.......Good Luck!!!!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You can lower any bike. Depends on if you like windsheilds. I do a lot of touring. So I do. I know other who also tour don't.
I can't belive that little windscreen does much.

Another one of my opinions,is if your going to ride lots and like the bags get the classic. But I am bioased towards windsheilds. There aweseome in the rain or cold.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
One Word

Get the Custom! Ok, three words.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm biased - looked for a couple months and finally got the Classic.

The Classic comes standard with fuel injection and cruise. I bought a lowering kit for 100 bucks. Easy install.

I say "get the Classic" because it comes with a lot more "stuff".

I'm not all that fond of the leather bags, but a little better than those on the Custom and a wee bit more than those on the Standard.

The Custom looks cool but if you're ever going to add a windshield and cruise and and and - well you can sink a lot of $$$.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
It's all subjective and no offense to the Custom crowd, cause I think it's a nice looking bike, and one that I started out loving. For some reason the bike didn't wear well for me in the looks department. I happen to think the Classic is...well a Classic. Honestly it is a gorgeous motorcycle. It's classy, sporty if you want it to be, (well almost):), and does offer some nice extras like cruise and the windshield. When I see one of those in black or silver I always have to go over and take a closer look. I also love the leather bags, but I'm starting to really appreicate the hard bag look. My personal opinion is that the Street Glide is going to steal some sales from the RK Custom.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I like the low slung look of the Custom over the Geezeresque of the Classic. Now, boys, don't get in a huff... I don't like the GoldWing either.

Truly, I wouldn't have spokes... ever.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Torn

I am selling my FXD with bags and windshield and going full bagger, can't decide between custom, classic, or streetglide. Money will probably rule out streetglide and put me on a 2 year old RK. Question for you RK classic owners, does anybody make a locking system to lock the classic bags and tourpack? I notice HD offers locks for the custom bags as an add-on, and I figure being that the tourpack for both is hard, as a last resort a person might rig a barrel lock setup of some kind that would work, but haven't seen or heard of anybody doing this? Probably this needs to be a separate thread, but though maybe somebody here could answer.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
If you get the Custom, please throw that goofy looking wind deflector thing in the trash as ASAP.

LOL, I agree 100%. I have an 04 RK Custom, that stupid corny looking thing was on my bike for exactly five miles -that is the distance from the dealer where I bought it to my house.

I removed the deflector as soon as I got home......

~John

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,645 Posts
Dave1200C said:
Went to buy a Custom and now I like the Classic. Help me decide boys.
Classic gives you the best of both worlds. Windshield when you want it and when you don't. Plus it doesn't have that stupid wind deflector.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts