V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 road king and I might have put the wrong brake fluid in it i grabed it of the shelf by mistake my manual say dot 5 and i put dot 4 in it will this harm it and if yes how do i get the dot 4 out of the brake lines thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
pricena said:
I have a 96 road king and I might have put the wrong brake fluid in it i grabed it of the shelf by mistake my manual say dot 5 and i put dot 4 in it will this harm it and if yes how do i get the dot 4 out of the brake lines thanks
If you didn't pump the brakes yet you can use your wife's turkey baster to get it out, wipe the inside of the m/c with a paper towel and refill with the correct fluid and you should be fine. If you have operated the brakes them you should do the same thing but then bleed the brakes well to flush the incorrect fluid out. A couple of m/c's worth of fluid should be sufficient....Bill

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
pricena said:
You might check out this Bel-Ray link. The last section talks about coagulation when mixing Dot 4 with 5. As the previous post indicated, if you have NOT operated the brakes i.e. the Dot 4 is ONLY in the tank then you could remove all the fluid, wipe it out refill, flush, and repeat. If there is any chance the Dot 4 has reached the seals I would get your dealer to flush the system and perform any necessary repairs.

http://www.belray.com/consumer/Q&A pages/q&abf.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you mix DOT 3 or 4 with DOT 5, it turns all rubber in the system to "chewing gum" over time. Not Good!

Flush the system, then flush it some more with DOT 5.

We're going to see a bunch of this in the next few years because HD went back to DOT 4.

Good Luck......

P:S
FYI.... Only use brake fluid from a sealed container.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts