V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brake light will not come on, replaced the bulb, still want come on...the brakes work just fine...

so I pulled my fuse box, and I noticed that everytime I mash the rear or front brake, I could hear a 'tick'....so I traced to where it was coming from, and discovered that it was the brake relay in the fuse harness...replaced it...still ticking and no brake light...

what's up? any suggestions?

sorry if this is the wrong area of the forum, just need this fixed by Thursday
:huh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
sounds to me like you have apinched wire or a freyed wire. to eliminate front to rear , find brake pressure switch for rear brake usaully down by trans. unplug one wire then activate front brake. if breaker pops it's front switch, if not it's rear . then start tracing wires usaully red or orange,depeneding on year. newer ones have red/yellow or orange/red

·
Registered
217 Posts
Does the running light work?? If not remove the bulb again using a meter on ohms see if you have a ground from the ground wire to the bike frame. If you have a ground turn the ign switch on and using the meter on volts see if you have 12vdc from the frame or ground to the + inside the light fixture. If you do its a bad connection. If you don't there s a bad wire.
If you suspect a bad wire go back to the relay and see if you have power there coming out of the relay. Keep dividing the cicruit in half till you find the bad spot.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Have you ever done anything with the right hand switch housing? Chrome switches? Chrome housing? If so, you've pinched the front brake light switch wires in the handlebar switch housing. Or...... if it's a bagger, undo the right front brake housing, look where the wires run under the clamp, inside the "dimple" in the handle bars. You may notice a pinched wire loom. Bet it's in there.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have replaced the switch housings for chrome ones, and when I was putting the harness back in, I was having trouble getting the brake lever to activated the dimple thing right....frustrations set in, and just kinda gave up on it when it didn't work right....once I got out riding, i figured the brake light wasn't going off...went to my dad's house, and noticed his was the same )way (05 Ultra)...so looked at mine, then saw that the brake light wasn't coming on....

the running light works fine...guess I'll have to trace the wires again and see if I can figure this thing out..

thanks guys...anymore suggestions, keep em coming!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
217 Posts
If the running light is working fine then the ground is good. Next is to check inside the light and be sure both filiments are getting power. Its not unusual for the bulb not to be lined up. You may also try turning the ing. switch on. put a rubber band on the brake handle and move the wires around and see if the light flashes while your moving the light. Another posability is the brake light switch at the foot brake. Move things around a little and see what happens. What year is you bike? I am asuuming its an 01 Road King.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Trust me on this, after you replaced the bulb, and brake light still didn't work, try replacing again with a completely differant new bulb. I had this happen twice in my life. Most of us wouldn't think a new part is defective but it happens.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
If the relay is clicking, the switches are good. Your manual should have a wireing diagram to help you locate and check the connecting plugs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep, 01 Road King...

relay clicks for both front and rear brakes...

I'm about the take the housing off, and wiggle things to see if that works...I guess the easiest is to see if the bulb is bad again...

I'll keep you guys updated

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
01RKRiney said:
i have replaced the switch housings for chrome ones, and when I was putting the harness back in, I was having trouble getting the brake lever to activated the dimple thing right....frustrations set in, and just kinda gave up on it when it didn't work right....once I got out riding, i figured the brake light wasn't going off...went to my dad's house, and noticed his was the same )way (05 Ultra)...so looked at mine, then saw that the brake light wasn't coming on....
I'd probably check your housings again. Pull them off and work the brake while apart and see if your light comes on. If it doesn't check inside the housing for any foreign particles or loose wires, anything out of place. If after putting it back together it still doesn't work kick he ground throw your screwdriver at the wall and scream! That usually jogs my memory and I remember to check one other stupid little thing I forgot about which is usually the problem.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
If you had the switches disassembled before that would be the natural place to look but as Chuck says if the relay is making the switches are good. I've had a problem with condensation in the tail light assembly where the wiring harness plugs into the tail light assembly. Some of the contact points were actually corroded away in less than a year. It wasn't noticable until you disassembled the tail light assembly plugs.

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
As long as your at it put a little dielectric grease on any of the connection you pull apart. Great stuff, it helps keep mositure out.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok guys...here is the current status...I took the housing off, and seperated all wires where nothing is touching...still ticked...

I noticed that two wires (one of which went to the brake nipple thing) was pinched pretty bad to the point that the copper was visible though the plastic (not cutting any of the copper, just mashed flat)...fixed that and it still ticked....the other was going to the blinker...worked fine

I tried the rear brake and no tick!!

so I knew then that is was solely a front brake problem...loosened the tank where I could wiggle the wires as I was tracing them back to the fuse box, still ticked...

at this point I took the rear brake light cover off and took the bulb out...still ticked...

got farely pissed off, and just said f-it, and put everything back together...running lights work fine, blinkers fine, headlight bright and dim fine, just when I mashed the front brake lever, that damn tick...the funny thing is now the rear brake makes it tick now that the housing is back together...

just about decided to take it to the Harley shop Tuesday (gottta work tomorrow) and see if they can fix the thing that day...really don't want to pay them $55 an hour to trace a short and make me look dumb...but I"m running out of options..

the only thing I haven't tried is putting a rubber band on the lever, and messin with the bulb and see if the bulb just isn't in there correctly...
:badmood:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
five bucks says it's all in the right hand switch housing........:whistle:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Good news is it shouldn't effect your breaking. (right?) But the guy breaking behind you, might be differant story.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Humor me please!!!! Try another fricking bulb! I know it sounds like a boring solution...but just try it Let us know:beer4u:

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Ticking problem????

1. Light a match let it burn for a second or two.

2. Apply the head of the match to the back of the annoying tick.

3. The burning will make him release his grip/bite into the skin.

4. Quickly pull tick away from bite area with tweezers.

5. Rinse and repeat.:banana:

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
I know the relay in my Road King makes a normal "tick" noise when I hit the brakes.

Have you tried replacing the relay? If you replace it and still have the same problem at least you can eliminate the relay - not too expensive either.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts