V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Loctite Enthusiast
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has been asked before; I searched the forum and couldn’t find anything related.

I need to bend the exhaust on my ‘82 FXRS with forward controls about a 1/4 inch to clear the rear brake master cylinder and keep from melting the heels on my shoes. I have a torch but no professional bending equipment. I know it’s not likely I can heat them without discoloring them; I can live with that. But I don’t want to put a kink or a crease in them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Sorry if this question has been asked before; I searched the forum and couldn’t find anything related.

I need to bend the exhaust on my ‘82 FXRS with forward controls about a 1/4 inch to clear the rear brake master cylinder and keep from melting the heels on my shoes. I have a torch but no professional bending equipment. I know it’s not likely I can heat them without discoloring them; I can live with that. But I don’t want to put a kink or a crease in them. Any ideas?
Heati g with torch will definitely ruin the chrome. If you can figure exactly where you need the 1/4" you can mark it and possibly wrap in a thick rag and squeeze it slightly oval in a vise just enough to get the clearance. If it's toward the inside (the bike side) where you don't see it you can dimple it. Use the rounded end of ball peen hammer and strike it with another hammer to get the exact spot.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Are chrome vapors as bad or worse than galvanize?

Sent from here to there.

·
Loctite Enthusiast
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I am leaning toward the filling with sand idea because when I make the bend about 4 to 6 inches down from the flange, I am going to have to make another compensating bend farther down the pipe to maintain the parallel staggered look. Do you think a regular organic cartridge in a paint respirator is good enough to protect against the chrome fumes?

·
Loctite Enthusiast
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/474371O/respiratory-protection-basics-for-welders-10-2007.pdf
I found this site which pretty well answers my question. For this one-time project, it looks like an organic vapor cartridge will probably be fine for me. The article talks about the chrome vapors, and if you’re a welder working with this, you have to have to take more elaborate measures.
“Gases and vapors cannot be removed by particulate filters. They must be removed by adsorption in a bed of activated carbon. Certain vapors require specially treated carbon, so it is important to select a cartridge that is approved by NIOSH for the specific vapors present. The approved contaminants will be listed on the label
on each cartridge. The most common cartridges used in welding applications
are organic vapor (black label), acid gas (white label) and organic vapor/acid gas (yellow label). The service life of gas and vapor cartridges will vary depending on the chemicals being removed and their concentration. Gas and vapor cartridges do not clog like particle filters—they simply become saturated and allow contaminants to flow through.”

1 - 6 of 6 Posts