V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just attempted to change the oil on my 00 softail the only problem being the dealership put the plug in so tight it won't come out, I can feel the "allen" beginning to strip the plug any ideas how to get this thing out before it strips? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Are you using an allen wrench? I had the same problem and went out and bought a socket wrench set that fit the allen style plug - it came right out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I know it sounds like a crappy suggestion, but can you take it to them and tell them to break it loose?

·
Registered
903 Posts
At this point I'd probably take it back to them too and tell them NOT to use the air-wrench next time. I hate that! You probably have but have you tried it with the engine hot?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yep! Run the engine some. Also break the vacume. ( Make sure the oil cap is not sealed. )

Shoot the sucker with some liquid wrench, heat the motor up, break the filler seal, and pray. :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll stop by on the ride home for the liquid wrench. If that fails it will be off to the dealer, "Please loosen my oil plug.":rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
And while you are back at the dealers, remind them what the "recommended torque" setting is on oil plugs!....

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Are you sure it's an 'allen'? My 01 softail is a 'torx' I believe plus it wil also take a 5/8 in. socket. If they are different, maybe it would be a good idea to upgrade if they will interchange

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Socket...

On my 2000 softail I have always used the 5/8 or is it 9/16? socket and never had a problem. My dealer only changed my oil once, the free 1000 mile service and he didn't overtighten...but the socket will give you a much better mechanical advantage than the allen wrench.

·
Registered
56 Posts
torch..

if none of these other suggestions work, try holding a torch to it just long enough to heat it up...that may burn any **** that may be on the threads .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts