V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In process of installing Aux Lights w/signal relocation kit on 07 Fatboy (HD kit). Kind of a pain in the ass. Anyway, how do you aim or set the lights? I can't turn them on because everything is apart. Do you just aim them best you think and tighten it up? I mean you have to install the signal and wire everything and put it all back together. Then if they are "Off or aimed incorrectly" You can take off signal but there is no way to losen lock nut up in support for signal light with that thru wire in the support bolt on the base of the light. Hard to explain but I figure if you have done it you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks
Gramps

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
GrampsWyatt said:
In process of installing Aux Lights w/signal relocation kit on 07 Fatboy (HD kit). Kind of a pain in the ass. Anyway, how do you aim or set the lights? I can't turn them on because everything is apart. Do you just aim them best you think and tighten it up? I mean you have to install the signal and wire everything and put it all back together. Then if they are "Off or aimed incorrectly" You can take off signal but there is no way to losen lock nut up in support for signal light with that thru wire in the support bolt on the base of the light. Hard to explain but I figure if you have done it you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks
Gramps
If they aren't too tight, you can adjust the lights manually by somewhat forcefully moving the light with your hands. There is a slotted socket made for adjusting the lights or you can slot your own socket using a Dremel tool.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I spent 30 minutes figuring out how in the hell do you tighten that nut in the first place when installing. Then I realized you could pull the wire out, tighten then thread it back. I should have known you needed a special tool/slotted deep socket for it sooner or later. Where can you get this slotted socket? Don't have dremel tool.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
GrampsWyatt said:
Ya, I spent 30 minutes figuring out how in the hell do you tighten that nut in the first place when installing. Then I realized you could pull the wire out, tighten then thread it back. I should have known you needed a special tool/slotted deep socket for it sooner or later. Where can you get this slotted socket? Don't have dremel tool.
From another post:

"The only difficult part of the installation is the power wire for the passing lamps is threaded through the bolt that attaches the lamp housing to the bracket and requires a slotted socket to tighten the nut which hold the housing to the bracket. A friend of mine simply ground the slots in short and a long 5/8 sockets for me. Or you can buy the Snap-On product for about $40."

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I haven't actually had to do this but here's what i would do. Get the lights where they are just loose enough to move by hand. Put the bike on a level section of street after dark. Sit on the bike and move the lights until you get them into a good position. You may need some help if you can't reach the lights while sitting on the bike. Don't forget to tighten them down after adjustment. I've never adjusted the lights on my Heritage but they look pretty much in line with the headlight.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tropper & Miles thanks

Miles,
Ya, I figured out that part of aiming the lights. The part that is hard is the wire thru a bolt with a lock nut and the nut is inside a support that requires a deep socket/sloted to reach it so you can loosen it to aim the lights. That is after you take off the signal.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
GrampsWyatt said:
Here's a link to the snap-on tool page. You can order directly from there or get an idea as to how you might cut slots into a regular deep socket with a dremel type tool. I think the size needed is 9/16" but check your application first to be sure. I think snap-on is the only place such a socket is available as I have checked other tool suppliers like McMaster-Carr and MSC.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=2122&group_ID=262&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts