V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixn to buy a new Road Glide this will be my 4th bike and the 1st 3 were non ABS bikes. Should I go ABS or is it not worth the extra $$ and would going with a bigger wheel and tire or single brake be a problem later? Thanks for the help!!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Getting ABS is up to you. The Brembro system is great. You'll stop on a dime. I have ABS, I've had to stop real quick with ABS, what would of happened without ABS, ??? Don't know, maybe nothin, I believe it's helped me..... Good Luck..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fixn to buy a new Road Glide this will be my 4th bike and the 1st 3 were non ABS bikes. Should I go ABS or is it not worth the extra $$ and would going with a bigger wheel and tire or single brake be a problem later? Thanks for the help!!
Most reports suggest a highly skilled rider that's able to practice hard braking often can out-perform an ABS-equipped bike.

With that said, if you're not in that category, the ABS option may be worth the added expense.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I've been riding for 30+ years and i've owned one bike [a BMW] with ABS. That said, i know my next touring Harley will have ABS. Those that say they can out ride ABS are just kidding themselves. It can and will save your ass in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
fixn to buy a new road glide this will be my 4th bike and the 1st 3 were non abs bikes. Should i go abs or is it not worth the extra $$ and would going with a bigger wheel and tire or single brake be a problem later? Thanks for the help!!
abs no doubt!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've been riding for 30+ years and i've owned one bike [a BMW] with ABS. That said, i know my next touring Harley will have ABS. Those that say they can out ride ABS are just kidding themselves. It can and will save your ass in an emergency situation.
Most folks can not out perform ABS. Even then, your stops will be more consistently shorter on average, with ABS. I have it, and rely on it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Most reports suggest a highly skilled rider that's able to practice hard braking often can out-perform an ABS-equipped bike.

With that said, if you're not in that category, the ABS option may be worth the added expense.
Most reports? Where did u read this??? Like has been stated by others here it has and will save the riders butt 4sure!! I have had it for a few months and it sure is impressive.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
ABS and non ABS will stop exactly the same if they are pushed to the treshold. If overbraking occurs the abs bike will be easier to control, no lockup of wheel therefore less chance of laying the bike down. Even with abs it is imperative to practice threshold braking , reaching the point just before abs activates, for maximum braking and using abs only as a safety tool much like you use your helmet and not using it as a crutch to cover your failure to practice. I have abs equipted bike as well as non abs bike. I practice max braking on both and feel comfortable on both. I have on occasions had the abs to activate while normal braking on washboard streets greatly extending the distance to stop. I highly recommend that you find a safe place and activate abs to to get the feel of it so that in a abs incident you know what to expect.

·
Registered
568 Posts
ABS and non ABS will stop exactly the same if they are pushed to the treshold. If overbraking occurs the abs bike will be easier to control, no lockup of wheel therefore less chance of laying the bike down. Even with abs it is imperative to practice threshold braking , reaching the point just before abs activates, for maximum braking and using abs only as a safety tool much like you use your helmet and not using it as a crutch to cover your failure to practice. I have abs equipted bike as well as non abs bike. I practice max braking on both and feel comfortable on both. I have on occasions had the abs to activate while normal braking on washboard streets greatly extending the distance to stop. I highly recommend that you find a safe place and activate abs to to get the feel of it so that in a abs incident you know what to expect.

That experience turned me solidly against ABS. When its lack of ability to adapt to the road surface significantly INCREASES normal stopping distance, it becomes a sabotage mechanism for normal stopping. I would rather skid and know it is my job to fix it before the crash than to have the computer literally take the brakes away from me at certain times. On a hot summer afternoon, I had less braking action due to ABS on a washboard surface than I would have had on an ice skating rink. Stopping only inches from the vehicle ahead on a warm, dry afternoon using a very conservative stopping distance is an experience I will never forget.

·
not sober all the time
5,874 Posts
I'm not doubting the abilities of ABS but I sit here thinking, how many times have I been in an emergency stopping situation on my scoot? Would ABS have helped in those situations? And one other question. Do many riders actually "rely" on it that much? Maybe I've been lucky to make it past 50. I guess if I buy a new bike and ABS is an option I'll consider it but that doesn't look likely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had two Harleys with ABS. I'll never buy another one without it! ABS has worked for me at least twice and I don't know what the outcome would have been without it. For me it is a MUST have.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
The ABS vs Non ABS has been debated on this formum at length. The OP should do a search and do some reading.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
ANY bike I buy from now on, new or used, will have ABS. That is an absolute requirement for me on future bikes. Recently in a sudden stop, I locked up the front wheel for a brief instant. I was able to let go and now go down. But the bars were beginning to twist. I don't need the aggravation of going down even at slow speeds. So all my future bikes and cars will have ABS.

I also like that some bikes are beginning to have traction control. Kawasaki realized on the Concurs that all the same sensors that give the computer info for the ABS could also be programmed to act as traction control. So I would certainly want my next bike to have both if possible. I am a believer that technology can make riding safer at no inconvenience to the rider.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I was on the fence with ABS. I had ridden others with it but was not sure I wanted it.
Bough a Road Glide Ultra at the end of April. ABS was standard on it. Now a 13K I am ok with it and and would add it to my list of things I want on a touring bike.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I have it on my 09 road king it's saved me twice already. For anyone in the world that has a car, truck, or (these days ) a motorcycle. Point blank. Don't be stupid and make sure that you purchase the ABS option.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Has anyone located the ABS control unit on the new bikes? I am wondering how big the unit itself is and where its located.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am VERY happy to have the ABS on my '11 RKC

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You can practice threshold braking all you want, fact of the matter is your human. That part of the equation will cause you to one day not be on your game... ABS will be there to help you out of your situation.

ABS is part of the braking system, and therefore a tool in your inventory of skills to keep you alive. Rely on it, know how it works and use it!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
T have a 09 FLHTC with ABS , just returned from a 3000 bike trip pulling my trailer with cooler and riding two up.Two blocks from home a ice cream truck pulled a quick left in front of me , I think I'd have laided the bike down if it was not for the ABS. 700.00 bucks dosen't go far in the hosiptal , and I don't heal as fast as I used too

1 - 20 of 30 Posts