V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 dyna - 113 build - 200 miles on build - 300 miles on bike total and blew oil pump. Went to dealer and checked out the parts. The feed outer gerotor was cracked - broken. Inner feed gerotor was slightly scoured at mating surface to cover housing. It appeared that there may not have been enough clearance. Has anyone encountered this problem and have any idea what the causes are ? ??

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's usually a sign that something hard went thru the pump --- FOD! They may not be telling ya the whole story --- ask to see the debris that they didn't show you. Either something else let go and went through the scavenge side of the pump or someone left a big chunk of FOD in there and doesn't want to own up to it.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
We are back to square one. If the pump was far out of alignment and cinced down and forced to run that way it would explain the catastrophy.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm with V Twin.

If it were possible to install the pump so far out of alignment that it breaks, it would have broken on start up.

·
Do'in the chicken dance
3,629 Posts
If it gets buggered up or debris is introduced then pieces can get caught between the gears and blammo!!!!

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
vtwin_nut said:
That's usually a sign that something hard went thru the pump --- FOD! They may not be telling ya the whole story --- ask to see the debris that they didn't show you. Either something else let go and went through the scavenge side of the pump or someone left a big chunk of FOD in there and doesn't want to own up to it.
FOD = Foreign Object Damage. Just in case not everyone here is familiar with this term. It's mainly used in the aircraft industry.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
I gotta agree w/ Hippo and vtwin on this. I don't think you could get the pump that far out of alignment let alone get it to run for 300 miles. :nope: Something HARD went through that baby!!!:yikes:

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
if something went thru the pump shouldnt they crack the cases to see if any further damage was done? did they say the damage was contained to that one area? something or some one screwed up good luck on finding out
Well, if if this is a case of FOD going through the pump it came from somewhere. That is unless they left something in there which is really a stretch to me, unless they're total idiots. You really need to know the whole story and that may be hard to find out. I'd tell them that you don't think a mis-aligned pump could have caused this. Ask them to explain how it ran for 300 miles!! Bomb them with questions, somebody might slip and tell you the truth!! I'd be Pi$$ed!! I'd wait till the showroom was full of people and then start asking questions, loudly. But that's just me....hehehe!! Just my -2$en#e-

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If it were mine I would definitely split the cases and clean the oil tank out.
Even this is not a 100% guarantee as it is virtually impossible to inspect the crank, but it is the best one can do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts