V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like I am going to buck the general trend in here. I prefer a pot helmet in states that order us to wear them, and no helmet in states that allow us the freedom to make our own choices. My wife works in a large X-Ray department and has relayed to me over the years all the bike accidents she sees. In general if you're in a sliding accident and whack your head into a bridge, you'll want the hemet on... if you're in a roll-over where your head is flopping around in the breeze, that 5 pound weight strapped to your neck is not a good thing. She's seen as many broken necks CAUSED BY the helmet as blunt force PROTECTED BY a helmet.... if it's 50/50, I choose to enjoy it without. Bottom line is it's my problem...
I ain't gonna strap on a body-airbag either if they pass that law, may as well fu(%in' walk to work.

about the only time I wear my 3/4 helmet is on a rain ride for the visor, or if I am forced on an Interstate for more than a couple hours, and then only to listen to Pink FLoyd or ZZTop or something on the headphones to put me out of my misery for having to ride an interstate.

Ahhh, I like stirrin' up ****.

· Registered
105 Posts
No - I'm referring to legal helmets - the weight of a pot wouldn't make any difference to the broken neck scenario. I know of damned few people around here who DO wear helmets that wear the full-face styles, 'cept for the rocketeers. I'd be the first to agree with you that a full-face helmet with neck padding will sure help in many cases.... but then again I prefer sex without wearing three condoms either. At some point for me,- HEY LISTEN UP! - for me, it ain't worth riding if I'd have to wear full leathers, a full-face helmet, put training wheels on the scooter and ride on the sidewalk...but I'd be a damned site safer. Don't worry America, I have insurance, death benefits, and no desire to grow too damned old anyway - so I won't be a burden on you. In the meantime, I prefer the wind (including the rocks, June bugs and sunshine) in my face as I ride. It's my opinion, and there ain't nothing humble about it.

· Registered
105 Posts
madcap69 said:
I personally don't mind wearing full leathers. They are really comfy, not to mention confidence inspiring.
Hmmmm, good point - I realized the other day how comfortable my OL's silk panties are, too... man you should have seen how inspiring they were! LOL

Hey - taking the stand that this is a personal decision, by default I gotta respect anybody else's decision, too.... a corner at 80mph? The boy needs a spanking, not a helmet!

· Registered
105 Posts
The insurance guys in Florida seems to have come to grips with it - in 2000 their helmet law permits riders with 'adequate' coverage to dump the helmet. Many old-time bikers still have to wear the thing because they don't have coverage. I go along with that - personal responsibility for your actions. If my brains splattered all over the Blue Ridge Parkway isn't gonna cost you anything, then leave me be. Besides, like I said in another thread, 53% of MC fatalities wore helmets. (NHTSA report page 59 of the pdf, 56 of the report - interesting reading for all of us) http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/Rpts/2001/809-271.pdf

I like my odds better, but I'm rather odd in any case...

· Registered
105 Posts
Damn, you're good....course only the more intelligent people live in Wisconsin anyway so it makes sense.... that was my only argument, and you saw right through it...... I'm still looking for the overall percentage of riders who choose to ride lidless.

From my perspective in a lid-law state, all of us do...when I am in a state that has no law, I'd say no more than 20% wear them - just an observation mind you.... so overall, I dunno - I would screw up my face and disagree with 10% though...my guess would be overall more like maybe 30%...but you're right - do ya know what a kewpi doll is? Go ahead and take one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.