V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Riding in Europe, there is just no question, helmet laws are so strict so that the option of riding without one does not simply exist (unless you're a HA member and get a doctor's permit). I too ride with a open helmet in order to meet the unwritten "cruiser rules". However, a friend of mine crashed a few years ago with an open helmer and polished the pavement with his face - doctors had to do a lot of work to screw teeth and jaw and face bones back together. He now rides with a full cover helmet from Bandit - matt black with black visor- and looks like a mean s-o-b! Check those helmets out at www.bandithelmets.com. I think that is the way to go if you want hard-core looks and safety...

Ride safe!

· Registered
150 Posts
Basically my view is that it should be up to each and everyone to decide whether they use a helmet or not. Personally I always go with one on primarily due to avoid the wind in my big flapping ears when cruising at 130 km/h.

But the problem with personal freedom to choose helmet or not comes when taking into account the financial consequences that impacts not only the individual decision maker but all other's that have to help finance inevitably higher medical expenses for the ones crashing head-to-tree/pavement etc without helmet - either via taxes in a social welfare system or via higher insurance premiums in a privately financed system.

If one could be fully personally financially responsible for taking on higher risk, I would fully agree with Muthuh, but the insurance guys would not allow it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.