V-Twin Forum banner

Helmets

21K views 77 replies 54 participants last post by  captainhook455 
#1 ·
Do you use a helmet in a state with no helmet law or not?

#5 ·
I wear a helmet in a helmet less state mainly to put my mom's fears at ease. She wants me to please wear a helmet so I do. I guess I could lie to her but that's not something I find tasteful.

I will admit the few times I've gone without a helmet are enjoyable. The freedom of getting on and off a motorcycle without having to strap on a helmet is a great feeling.

Even so, I've seen too many riders the intensive care units of hospitals who probably wouldn't have been there if they had been wearing a helmet when they've crashed. Guess I'd rather have the freedom of staying out of intensive care than the freedom of not wearing a lid.

#8 ·
Helmet - Yes

I ALWAYS ride with a helmet. I'm in Arizona with no helmet laws (except helmets are required for under 18 years old). Even in the Phoenix summer.

When I was in high school (many eons ago) a friend of mine took the convertable top clean off of a Cadillac that he t-boned when it made a left turn in front of him (no helmet). I routinely visited him in the hospital but he never seemed really ok. He seemed to know who I was. He didn't remember the accident but we explained what happened and he accepted it.

After about 3 months (still in the hospital) in the middle of a visit, he suddenly looked at me and with great suprise said "Larry... what are you doing here? ... What am I doing here?" ... He was finally "better but not 100%". Over the years he probably made it to 80%... he was lucky.

He made me promise to wear a helmet.

#9 ·
I think people running synthetic tend to wear helmets if they have loud pipes and only wave at harley riders, except those wearing chaps that do not have health insurance.

I am hoping whether or not I may wear a helmet will not influence your decision.

rkc

#12 ·
I always wear a helmet. I do it for me, not the law. I also wear armored clothing, boots and good gloves. I believe in ATGATT. I do this because I particularly like my face and body to remain as they are. I have ridden about 250,000 miles in my life. All but three or four hundred of those miles have been with a helmet. When I ride to Sturgis and pass through Wyoming, there is two small deserted roads I take for about 130 miles, Routes 387 and 450. I sometimes take off my helmet there just to experience riding without a helmet. Thjere are no cross roads. It is flat and straight. That's about it for helmetless riding for me.

#15 ·
I'm 50/50 on wearing it. when the wife rides with me I do, because If I do not she has a clear shot to the kidney area of me right side. So it is less painful to wear it.. When I ride in the cold I wear a full face, with intercom. It's warmer, and I can talk on the CB, anf the music is nice in there.

#16 ·
Always have, always will.

My son went down 2 yrs ago, he was wearing a skorpion full face. Doc told him he wouldn't have a left ear if it weren' for the helmet.

#20 ·
I'm assuming that the OP means real helmet and not the " it's a real helmet dude, see it's on my head!" beanies etc. I wear the real one 90% of the time and do take it off if we're out in the country away from traffic. I seem to where it more every year maybe because I care less about how cool I look and more about staying healthy and keeping my wits about me ..... what little I have left. :blink:

#22 ·
nope, don't wear one unless I have to then wear the smallest legal helmet I have to. don't believe a helmet is gonna help much when you meet up with the stupid cager. now, if I were prone to falling off my bike or dropping it all the time I mite wear one. I do wear one when the temps are below 40, also wear a face mask, stocking cap, chaps, longjohns, heated socks and anything else that will keep me warm. like the freedom of not wearing one. bottomline, it's my choice. for what it's worth.

#24 ·
I believe.......

I wear a helmet almost everytime because the wind hurts my Eyes and ears, I don't need any comments about windsheilds, plugs and glasses. I became a real believer after a car turned in front of me and I hit the rear wheel well, The helmet had a hole in the side that would have been my head without the lid on. If you don't wear one that should be your choice but I won't cry when your all F%^k-up.

#23 · (Edited)
When I had a dirt bike many years ago I always wore one. It was the law then and that too was an encouragement to wear one. Now, the law has changed, you don't have to wear one in Michigan.

I deal with health insurance sales. I still wear a helmet even though I don't have to, a three/quarter one. My helmet has intercom to speak to my wife when she rides on the 2up.

One of my older friends son was killed (3 years ago) when a lady with no license turned her car in front of him, he was going about 25 mph but had on one of those fake helmets. He hit the windshield and was killed. The police said if he would have had a regulation helmet he would have been fine.

Another client friend of mine was riding two up (last year), both he and his wife did not wear helmets, he lost control of the bike on a sharp turn and went off the road. Both him and his wife were airlifted, she will never be 100%, now he still rides but wears a helmet.

I have been thinking about a half helmet, carbon fiber to get it lighter (and less hot in the summer) and maybe some ear cover so I could still use the intercom. Any suggestions?

#26 ·
I think this is actually nothing but a troll thread.

OK, everyone have fun, get on your soapboxes.

Myself, had enough of helmet debates.

Yes riding a motorcycle is putting your life at risk, even more so without a helmet.

We all take risks.

Respect others decisions.

rkc

#27 ·
There was a truck in front of me today that lost a huge piece of fiberglass insulation and by the time 20-30 cars had run over it I went through a fog of fiberglass. My neck and arms have been itching me like crazy today but I think the full face kept it out of my eyes/nose. That would have been bad to have fiberglass in the eyes at 70 mph.
I starting wearing a helmet a couple years ago after riding over 25 years without one. No real reason just because.

#30 ·
If I have to I will, if I don't have to I won't. A few weeks aho I got a ticket while wearing a helmet. The cop said he pulled me over for a non-compliant helmet. The SNELL M2000 DOT APPROVED is clearly visible, but after a "Yes it is. No it isn't. Yes it is. No it isn't" discussion for a couple minutes, he ran my papers and gave me a ticket anyhow. For good measure, he also gave me a ticket for an obstructed plate wich is also as clear as a bell.
After I plead my case, I'm confident the judge will order him to bend over and stick both tickets up his *** right there in the courtroom.

#31 ·
RKC makes his points very eloquently. Well said.

I wear a helmet and always will. I have been riding since the late '70s and have been a first responder for many years along with riding a motor. I've seen more than my share of wrecks and yes, it has influenced my decisions. They go to more than just whether I and my passengers wear helmets or not.

One thing I never understood was wearing a helmet without buckling the strap. I've seen helmets going airborne in a collision, meaning the rider goes one way, the helmet another. The end result was not pretty.

I'm all for freedom of choice. I'm also for using good sense. There's inherent risks in motorcycling, as in many other ventures. Stacking the odds in your favor just makes sense to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.