V-Twin Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Well stated Mike5511. I support the idea of wearing a helmet. I also support it's up to the individual to make that decision.

·
not sober all the time
5,283 Posts
uncle salty, I gotta call BS.

The Louisiana lid law only requires a lid. It was determined that if the State set lid requirements it (the State) could be held responsible for injuries.

I lived there for several years and only wore a plastic shell, joke of a lid.
It's been a while since I looked at this tread and I just saw this reply.

Curious what you're calling BS, the fact that I received a ticket or something else. If you are an attorney and would like to help me recover the fine I'm listening.

·
hippie
5,106 Posts
if i can pull off the arkansas trip it looks like i'm gonna need a helmet, as i see a bunch of states have helmet laws... all i have is a few full face arctic cat sled helmets.. i'm not used to wearing a bucket on the bike, sooo,, my question is,, what have you guys found to be a comfortable helmet?

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
For me, full-face carbon fiber is the most comfortable except when the humidity gets up over 80%. I own an HJC and 2 Vemars.

But, I started racing dirt bikes back at 12 y.o. and the Bell full-face was the hot thang back in the day. Once I took to the street on my VFR750, I wore an Aria Freddie Spencer signature FF.

Then later, a Ltd. Ed. Shoei RF-1000 X-11 D. Kato Memorial while I thrashed the Yammer. So, the enclosed feeling has become 2nd nature and now offers me piece of mind as it did back then.

Then again in '78, I was also the only guy at the ambulance station to wear a lap/shoulder seatbelt...the other EMTs scoffed.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
if i can pull off the arkansas trip it looks like i'm gonna need a helmet, as i see a bunch of states have helmet laws... all i have is a few full face arctic cat sled helmets.. i'm not used to wearing a bucket on the bike, sooo,, my question is,, what have you guys found to be a comfortable helmet?

When i am going where a helmet is required I have a Bell Drifter half I throw on under a net. If you watch the net you can find them for under 50 bucks new.

But if there is no law I wear no lid.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/45153/i/bell-drifter-dlx-helmet

·
hippie
5,106 Posts
good link b, thanks man,, how's it handle the wind? get any buffering or visor tip? i've never owned a 1/2 before but for storage room wise it makes more sense.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
good link b, thanks man,, how's it handle the wind? get any buffering or visor tip? i've never owned a 1/2 before but for storage room wise it makes more sense.

Yes they catch air. Behind a shield not bad. No shield they catch air.

I normally never ride with one unless required by law, so this was the lightest I could find. Plus it nets on because it's small as soon as I am back in a choice state.

Wife rides a full face and will use the half if it's hot. Or if we are not going super slab.

·
not sober all the time
5,283 Posts
Once I took to the street on my VFR750, I wore an Aria Freddie Spencer signature FF.
Fast Freddie grew up around here. I worked on his and his father's cars, Bronco and jet boat back in the early 80's when I was employed at a local performance shop.

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
Fast Freddie grew up around here. I worked on his and his father's cars, Bronco and jet boat back in the early 80's when I was employed at a local performance shop.
Pretty cool story! I'd like to meet Freddie, he seems genuine and I always wanted to go to his racing school.

Eddie Hill (top fuel dragster and dragboat champions in '70-80s) owns one of the import motorsports dealerships in town. He lives somewhere here and I've met him but prefer to talk with his wife Ercie who is a real sweetheart; he can be a bit of an ass.

Of the motorcycle heroes of my youth, I've met and hung out with the entire 1978-1979 Yam SX team - Broc Glover, Mike Bell, and of course Bob "Hurricane" Hannah with his wrench Keith McCarty. They stayed in rooms surrounding ours (father, brother and me) in a Holiday Inn across from the Astrodome during the '79 race weekend. The following season during the AMA outdoor MX ProAm at Lake Whitney TX, Hannah invited me over to his paddock to hang out and not get in his way.

P.S.) Just noticed that I spelled "ARAI" incorrectly yesterday morning, and I was sober then :redrolf:

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't care about that in a state there have any law or not. I just care about my safety, and so I always wear a helmet for long or close riding.

·
Registered
163 Posts
ATGATT: All the gear, all the time. Shorthand for a philosophy that complete motorcycle safety gear should be worn at all times, and gear should not be reduced at times when the perceived risk is less.

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
ATGATT.....I wear my Arai full face whenever I’m on my bike.
I ordered a full coverage helmet from Wish for $143 in red and black instead of black which was $62. It supposed to be a $899 helmet. I see what I get and might post a picture of it unless it is piece of crap.

tarheel

61 - 78 of 78 Posts